Sign in to follow this  
Brett Miller

Cigarette lighter linked to ignition

Hi All

I have a 540i Motorsport (2000) and am using a external Sat Nav. The problem I have is that the charger in the cigarette lighter continues to work after the car is switched off therefore so does the satnav. Is there a way to get this linked to the ignition? Cheers Br3tt

You need to hard wire it to an AC sourse (violet switched wire) you can buy extra leads from d*ck Smith to do it.

Might also pay to add your location in your profile. I'm sure someone might be able to help you do this.

Edited by *Glenn*

You need to hard wire it to an AC sourse (violet switched wire) you can buy extra leads from d*ck Smith to do it.

Might also pay to add your location in your profile. I'm sure someone might be able to help you do this.

Thanks for that Glenn

I would insert a relay in the existing lead, with the relay controlled by the Ign switched wire

Reason: the violet ign switched wires are often not designed to handle the current draw of the cig lighter socket.

And inserting a relay ensures that the fuse designations and descriptions remain correct

Jochen... I meant hard wiring a nav cord into the violet... not the cig lighter. The Nav unit shouldn't draw very much current. I've done this in all my cars without a problem.

Looks nicer not having the GPS plugged into the ciggy lighter too.

Jochen... I meant hard wiring a nav cord into the violet... not the cig lighter. The Nav unit shouldn't draw very much current. I've done this in all my cars without a problem.

Pays to check specs though. i melted the AC switch doing the same thing

using the relay would be the better option overall. Thats actually designed to put out the current required. if i did it again, i would splice into just behind the cigarette lighter, and then for the switch use a relay. you might want to do it to the ON postition though, so you can sit with the stereo on in ACC without having the whole works lit up

Pays to check specs though. i melted the AC switch doing the same thing

Wiring has never been one of the skills you have excelled in though Andrew :rolleyes:

When I wrote AC I was meaning Accessory. Not AC as in Air Con. Violet wires in the BMW are switched in the AC/ACC (accessory position)

Edited by *Glenn*

Hi All

I have a 540i Motorsport (2000) and am using a external Sat Nav. The problem I have is that the charger in the cigarette lighter continues to work after the car is switched off therefore so does the satnav. Is there a way to get this linked to the ignition? Cheers Br3tt

Get a glove box torch to sig socket converter cable (ebay $5 usd ) and connect your satnav to that outlet . I'm reasonably sure it is ignition switched(mulitmeter to check) and should have enough current to run a satnav

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-Auxilia...=item51976d0379

Edited by Neal