Sign in to follow this  
Haitoman

Advice for importing new BMW

I am a Kiwi living in the Uk for a few years and drive an e46 330i and have a company e90 320d. I am about to purchase a new BMW to bring back to NZ after 12 months. I plan keeping it for 18months before trading it back in NZ. So I need to know which of the following, once it is 2 years old car would sell best back home :

a. 2012 335i M Sport sedan colour Black or White?

b. 2012 335d M Sport sedan colour Black or White?

c. 2012 535i M Sport or 535d M Sport sedan in Black or White?

d. 2012 1M coupe Black or White

I can purchase any of the above but I am trying to maximise my return. I would appreciate any thoughts from you...

Andrew

While every single car on your list will be top of the range down here, the 1M will probably have the best ROI. It is already a rare beast, with only 12 this year and a further 20 next year. Maybe a little bit more but it is not a full production car. Its rarity will help keep its price high.

Remember though car is a depreciating asset unless yours is really really really rare :)

As above, the 1M would have the highest re-sale value as a percentage of it's purchase price. BUT it would be a very, very limited market in NZ for that kind of machinery (as it would for any of the cars you have listed in all honesty..) AND you might have to wait a while for one to turn up!!

If you haven't already, check out the HM Customs & Excise web-site for all the details on claiming the VAT back on a car for export out of UK, especially as this is a new car and will have a big chunk of tax in the price. As it's your own car you can avoid GST if the timing is right, which will help reduce your losses over all.

Plus you will have a huge grin factor from driving the 1M, you might not end up wanting to sell it at all!!

Make sure when you order whichever car you decide to buy, that it is configured in Kms and not miles.

'Brand new car' and 'maximising return' :wacko:

Why not buy a second hand version of one of those and let someone else take the new car smack hit?

^^^^ Inclined to agree.

Don't quote me but I would be highly sceptical of making a + return upon selling here when the time came (even a 1M, which incidentally I agree would be the best option). Unless you got it for an absolute steal with purchase price over there

actually i think a more modest car would give the best ROI...for instance a nicely specced 320d in MANUAL....

Firstly welcome to the forum !!!

I am trying to understand why you are doing this ... if it is to make money, then there are easier options rather than new BMWs.

If you intend to buy a car, hold it for 12 months there then hold it for a further 18 months in NZ then sell for a profit ??? It is the same as me looking right now at 2 1/2 year old cars in UK and importing them to sell straight away. I can guarantee my buy price of the same car you have in 2 1/2 years will be a lot less than the money you are about to pay now. As others have commented, you will take the first hit on it being a new car. Why not buy a 1 year old car in a years time and bring it back with you then to sell it ???

Edited by RvT

i cant remember where i watched/read it, but you could buy an '11 Mazzer Gran Tourismo in the UK and ship it to NZ yourself and save 100,000 over buying a new one here... i wonder if that extends to most marques? ill try reference this now

I am a Kiwi living in the Uk for a few years and drive an e46 330i and have a company e90 320d. I am about to purchase a new BMW to bring back to NZ after 12 months. I plan keeping it for 18months before trading it back in NZ. So I need to know which of the following, once it is 2 years old car would sell best back home :

a. 2012 335i M Sport sedan colour Black or White?

b. 2012 335d M Sport sedan colour Black or White?

c. 2012 535i M Sport or 535d M Sport sedan in Black or White?

d. 2012 1M coupe Black or White

I can purchase any of the above but I am trying to maximise my return. I would appreciate any thoughts from you...

Andrew

First, thanks for your replies. I know it sounds an odd way to do things but basically due to my circumstances I can buy at new UK OTR price less 35%. The new price here for a 1M is equiv. to about NZ82k (go the exchange rate) so I'm talking NZ55k or thereabouts. The problem is I have no idea what a 1M is going for in NZ nor what it will fetch in 2 years.

So given any of the above is on the cards, I need to know which will sell easiest in NZ - both model and colour.

I'd say you'll be able to get the 55k back in two years easily. As for making a profit? Since there won't be a 2nd hand 1M for the next few months (a year?) in NZ it'd be difficult making a call.

A friend of mine pays $110k for a brand new 1M which is basically twice what you'd pay in the UK.

Looking at Trademe there are one of two people that bringing in almost brand new, highly spec'd euros from the UK and they seem to be selling these at around $10-20k below what a NZ new would fetch.

Colour wise, I'd like to be different so I won't be the best person to give advice. For example, if I'm ordering a 991 right now I'll specify speed-yellow with yellow calipers and black red-stitched leather.

I would buy a diesel auto 3 or 5 if you couldn't live with the 1M everyday.

Make sure it's black or grey with black leather

(so many UK imports on TM are hideous colours). If you buy a 3 or 5 don't buy manual - there is no market for them in NZ.

The head says a 335d but then again, I'd get to work quicker in a 1M - you forgot an option for both?