Sign in to follow this  
Specter13

E30 325i build

Hey guys, im new to bimmersport as well as new to the car scene.

im an an avid motorcyclist, but have found the need to own a car. so i thought id do it properly and hunt for an E30

:D

so i present you my 1989 325i south african import!

so the cons?

it has a ticking noise in the head at idle

the diff is on its way out

spots of rust here and there

the trim has much to be desired

no stereo and the heater was taken out :/

the pros?

shes a blank slate to be tidied up

i have money to waste

it only cost me 1000 bucks.

what do i want to do?

firstly i want to sort out the motor and diff so i can use her as a daily runner.

do a manual conversion.

overall clean up the interior and exterior

as i said earlier, im a noob to cars so im going to need your help, but i do have mechanical no-how from working on the bike :D

post-15802-1316415788.jpg

Moved thread for you mate, and good luck with the project from an ex-owner of a Saffa schwarz E30.

Moved thread for you mate, and good luck with the project from an ex-owner of a Saffa schwarz E30.

cheers man!

gonna rip the head off this weekend and give it a good look over so i dont root an otherwise good M20.

will also be looking for a new diff soon. ive been bogged down with essays recently, but now im free so im going to try find out what other things wrong this car has :D

Try adjusting the tappet height before you rip the head off, that could be the cause of the noise while idling, common among m20's.

Plenty knowledge around here though so ask away.

Try adjusting the tappet height before you rip the head off, that could be the cause of the noise while idling, common among m20's.

Plenty knowledge around here though so ask away.

Ok first question. when it comes to replacing the diff what is an ideal ratio? cant say i know what diff my car has in the first place. also will i need any wanky tools to replace it?

Edited by specter

Should be a tag on the back the has the ratio stamped on it.

As for the ratio, its up to you really.

And I can't think of any special tools needed

yup.

to give you an idea, most of the manual M325i's and msport E30s ive gone to see or owned were fitted with 3.67 LSD, though some with 3.9x. its up to you really. For the best compromise on preformance and economy id be going for a 3.67 though, i found it great in my 2.8L

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

finished work early today so i thought id enjoy the sun and pull the beemer apart...

turns out the previous owner has absolutely molested the wiring!!!! heaps of plugs leading to nowhere as im assuming the previous owner was making a track car and decided it would suck too much power... R/H side windows don't work and was trying to find a fault, but got lost in the mess of wiring.

also trying to source a new diff, parcel tray, and a solution to my window problem. might try get a wof tomorrow and see what else is lacking <_<

cheers... is there any difference between the medium and large diffs

Your car can only fit a small or medium diff. You wouldnt want a small as they were only provided to 316/318s from memory.

The ratios you want are in the 3.6-3.7 range. Whilst you wont need any special tools but the main bolts that hold the diff to the subframe can give you all sorts of grief when getting off if its still on the car.

so i received a new rocker cover :D

looks better than the stupid blue one it has.

also looked at the wiring and found its been spliced to sh*t

post-15802-1317157881.jpg

anyone after a cheap donor cover?

post-15802-1317157892.jpg

looks much more professional

post-15802-1317157902.jpg

i think it may have something to with the radio?

Edited by specter