Sign in to follow this  
jager

stupidly tight oil filter

Trying to service my e36 316i and the oil filter housing (plastic top) is stupidly tight. It does not feature the "nut" on top and I cant get it off! I have tried a claw type filter remover (don't want to be to rough with this as it slips, scratches and don't want to crack the housing) and have tried a strap tool, but the filter housing lid is to short and the strap slips off. Also managed to rip another strap.... apart from forking out $200 for a set of oil filter cups is there anything else I can do? or can I buy an individual cup from somewhere?

Cheers

Andrew

Last ditch effort ... hammer and a large flat blade screw driver... Hammer the screw driver in horizontally all the way through and use it as a handle to open it... you can put a pipe over the handle for more leverage if you have room.

Its rough but works.

Examine the filter adapter to make sure nothing fell down into it. It shouldnt as the oil filter is not brittal metal and wont leave any metal shards.

+1 works a treat.

Last ditch effort ... hammer and a large flat blade screw driver... Hammer the screw driver in horizontally all the way through and use it as a handle to open it... you can put a pipe over the handle for more leverage if you have room.

Its rough but works.

Examine the filter adapter to make sure nothing fell down into it. It shouldnt as the oil filter is not brittal metal and wont leave any metal shards.

its a cartridge type filter. If i put a screw driver though it.. I'd need to buy a new housing.

Yes dont throw a screwdriver through

I bought a "special" removal tool. Looks like a large socket with a holein the top for a 3/8 drive ratchet.

Works a treat for me.

Got mine from the states tho, couldn't get one local.

Something like this

Make sure you get one with the right amount of flutes

Edited by sp8s

have a plastic top on my e36 too. used a oversized filter removal tool from repco and a leather belt for grip wrapped a few times around the cap. worked a charm.

I bought a "special" removal tool. Looks like a large socket with a holein the top for a 3/8 drive ratchet.

Works a treat for me.

Something like this

THIS! this is what I was looking for, cheers! I better measure and count mine and order one. Good thing I have a work car and my service isn't over due. thanks heaps! pretty cheap to.

have a plastic top on my e36 too. used a oversized filter removal tool from repco and a leather belt for grip wrapped a few times around the cap. worked a charm.

I did not think to try add more grip to my belt... cheers! good idea

Works a treat for me.

Something like this

I'm glad someone ended up giving the correct advice

lol glad you didnt do the screw driver then , i should have read what vehicle you have first as assumption is never any good.

its a cartridge type filter. If i put a screw driver though it.. I'd need to buy a new housing.

Hehehe