Sign in to follow this  
max

Rear indicator tinting and sideskirt/front lip painting

Hi,

I'm looking to tint my rear indicators red (I've read the thread in the DIY section) but can't find that 'plastikote glass tint' anywhere in Christchurch! I've tried Mitre10 Megas, Placemakers, Bunnings etc and half the guys in Repco/Supercheap have no idea what im talking about.

Anyone know where I could pick some up in Chch or online?

Also, thinking of painting my front lip and sideskirts on my e30 Touring white to match the body. Are these parts easy enough to take off and paint? Obviously looking to match the paint but if that's not possible with aerosol can anyone recommend some paint and where to get it from? White as in the pic below

Posted Image

cheers!

red tint for tail lights can be bought from Hobby shops (model cars, planes), its ~$20 for a can of Tamiya Colour for plastics.

as for the side skirt/ front lip, straightforward to take off, and to get colour coded paint cans, and paint them yourself, but you might consider keeping them black as is, as your rear lower valence is black, and it'd be nice for them to match your lip and side skirts.

hope thats helpful

I bought a can of the Plastikote paint less than 3 weeks ago at Mitre 10 mega in Hornby, seems strange they don't have it anymore.

As for the front lip and skirts... you can get paint matched and put into an aerosol can at Spraystore on St Asaph Street. I'd say allow 2 - 3 cans for the front lip and both sideskirts. Both parts should only be held on by clips. You may need to replace some clips if they break or snap when removing the parts.

c and half the guys in Repco/Supercheap have no idea what im talking about.

ask them about motor oil and youll get the same result lol

. Both parts should only be held on by clips. You may need to replace some clips if they break or snap when removing the parts.

anywhere from 50c to $2 a piece from BMWNZ. are usually in stock too so you can avoid ex-germany shipping

If you can't find the glass paint... you can have the rest of mine. Drop me a PM if you get stuck.

Also have a set of Motorsport springs for sale that may drop your ride height a little (usually 20mm lower than stock)

Edited by _Mark_

I bought a can of the Plastikote paint less than 3 weeks ago at Mitre 10 mega in Hornby, seems strange they don't have it anymore.

As for the front lip and skirts... you can get paint matched and put into an aerosol can at Spraystore on St Asaph Street. I'd say allow 2 - 3 cans for the front lip and both sideskirts. Both parts should only be held on by clips. You may need to replace some clips if they break or snap when removing the parts.

as for the side skirt/ front lip, straightforward to take off, and to get colour coded paint cans, and paint them yourself, but you might consider keeping them black as is, as your rear lower valence is black, and it'd be nice for them to match your lip and side skirts.

yeah I was thinking the same, because it would seem pretty ghetto to try and mask the rear valence off and try and paint it as is.. maybe I'll just re-do the black. but having said that I like the look of matching lip/skirts that I did while pissing round on photoshop

Posted Image

Ha I haven't tried the Hornby mitre 10 I'll give them a go.

Could be keen on those springs in a month or two Mark if you still have them then.

Cheers for the tips guys