Sign in to follow this  
mark@ematx.net

e28 535i & e34 M30 engine transplant

Hi, this is my first post :)

My beloved 1987 e28 535i has a cracked head, beyond repair (stone thru radiator). Finding another head is proving to be a little difficult.

I am looking at transplanting an e34 535i engine in its place. Is this a straightforward transplant? What are the differences between e28 & e34, as far as this goes?

I am expecting to have to replace ECU, wiring loom & inlet manifold. I suspect there might be a bit more to it.

Can anybody shed any light on the perils & pitfalls of doing this?

Thanks very much.

Sounds like a great idea.

Might be worth throwing on a medium sized turbo on that M30 while it's out.

Hi, this is my first post :)

My beloved 1987 e28 535i has a cracked head, beyond repair (stone thru radiator). Finding another head is proving to be a little difficult.

I am looking at transplanting an e34 535i engine in its place. Is this a straightforward transplant? What are the differences between e28 & e34, as far as this goes?

I am expecting to have to replace ECU, wiring loom & inlet manifold. I suspect there might be a bit more to it.

Can anybody shed any light on the perils & pitfalls of doing this?

Thanks very much.

Hi Mark,

think we spoke on the phone,

some things to start with

I'd fix the E28 engine, as the E34M30 has differences and not just a straight plugin and play

sump and pick up are diffrent,

have a close look at the block, the casting is in a different place for the engine mount bracket.

is the car a nice example? might be worth while leaving it original??

the E34 engine will be down in power

cheers

Jon

Hi Mark... I've sent you a PM with names & phone numbers of members that might be able to help you with a cylinder head or motor. There may be others as well on here who might be able to help as well. Pleasure talking to you last night.

hi , yes worth fixing your e28 properly as e34 e32 3.5L engines have less power than the e28 type.

e28 535i 218hp 310Nm 10:1 compression ratio

e34 535i 211hp 305Nm 9:1 compression ratio

but as said before the later blocks dont have some casting holes for the engine mounts.

you could make some adaptors if you really had to ,

you can run the e34 engine on the e28 loom /ecu etc.

you could fit the e34 head and intake manifold to your e28 engine but it will lower the compression a bit.

so power will be down a bit

best to get the correct head or swap in another e28 , e24 ,e23 type 3.5L engine 1983-1987