Sign in to follow this  
nath

Hard E36 318is manual gearchange

Hi all, newest project which I am finding very hard to get passionate about is an nz new manual 1997 318iS.

It has plenty of good bits etc so is worth getting nice. Hoodlining done (may have to do it again at some stage!) etc etc. Also seems to want the starter gear lubed up a bit as when she is hot she whirrs first time you try to start, then engages on the next one. Really annoying.

Anyhow I digress.

The gearchange while not crunchy and not falling out of gear, isnt exactly easy. I don't force the gearstick as that can't be a good idea, instead I ease each gear in. It isnt THAT hard, but I'm erring on the side of caution.

Is it an internal or external problem?

Cheers

Is it happening in every gear?

If so i'd say it'd be the clutch not completely releasing

Cheers for the replies guys,

Yes she has 190km and has not been meticuously cared for.

I will definitely do the fluid, and deal with clutch. I got in mum's 190km 1999 manual rav which she has had from new and the gearchange was like a cloud in comparison :(

Havent yet changed the fluid, and may I add that the shift is the same whether the car is running, moving or completely turned off.

Not having driven a sport- oriented manual for a while, I assumed immediately that she has had a short shift installed. If she has, then the stiffness may be accentuated by this I feel.

Havent yet changed the fluid, and may I add that the shift is the same whether the car is running, moving or completely turned off.

Not having driven a sport- oriented manual for a while, I thought the stick travel was very short and assumed immediately that she has had a short shift installed. If she has, then the stiffness may be accentuated by this I feel.

Edited by nath

My getrag from a 318iS is also reasonably stiff to change. Not to the point of forcing it into gear, but you can feel it click into gear. Looking around the webs, seems its reasonably normal, as long as it isnt crunching or popping out.

Make sure its running the correct fluid as when i get the box first fitted it had been filled with MTF when its specced as ATF, it was a real pain to shift until the fluid got changed over. Also be an idea to bleed the clutch.

Do 318iS's have the clutch delay valve like M3s?

Replaced the gearbox fluid and It still changes the same, also bled (albeit a half- assed job) the clutch. No improvement really.

I'm putting it down to the aftermarket short shifter installed. Anyone want to swap moine for their standard one? Sure it's short, but I dont like the exxagerated gearchange notches.

Not sure if this is of any help but a few of the US sites have made mention of the gear shift inter lock pin system becoming worn and coursing jamming and hard gear shifts. Maybe a search on these site could help you out just a thought.

Cheers happy new year

cool cheers, i'll check out the guts when I can get under the car

Hey Nath,

Is the aftermarket shifter one of these ones? http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-...n-435468810.htm

Had one originally in my first E30 and it was horrible, struggled to get it into gear, particually reverse, WOF inspector thought the gearbox was rooted. Put a z3 shifter in and happy days.

Cheers, Nathan

Edited by Brams

Short shifters make very little difference to shift feel.

Is it easier if you double declutch? if yes then it is probably the clutch dragging.

uh, Less leverage, harder to shift/more force required....?