Sign in to follow this  
polley

Trademe Scammers

Does anyone else get scammers texting them when they are trying to sell a car?

Have had 3 of them text me so far, I emailed one back just to waste his time and told him that I want $60,000 for the car - and he still wants to buy it lol....

Hahaha! good on you.

I get it everytime... same questions to look like they are interested. then ask about shipping overseas, or an agent to collect.... I usually send something rude back :-)

I don't know what the 'scam' is here, but this was very prevelant in the UK. I know someone who handed over $40,000 in cash for a rental flat, unbeliveable, but true.

What is their actual scam?

I even got one to send me a bank cheque issued from the same bank I work at, he even mailed it to my work the idiot.

At least he wasted his own coin on postage.

I don't know what the 'scam' is here, but this was very prevelant in the UK. I know someone who handed over $40,000 in cash for a rental flat, unbeliveable, but true.

What is their actual scam?

usual is they will send you a cheque for more than the amount due. You need to use the extra to pay "shipping" or some other BS expense.

they hope you will make the payment before you realise the cheque is fake.

But there are variations we see alot too. stolen CC details, stolen money transfered from the victim to you to western union to them (so you become the mule account).

Edited by M5V8

This dude wants me to use paypal, im not entirely sure how it works yet.

Yeah I had a guy purportedly from Australia-You'd have to be pretty naiive to fall for it

Yep me too, got a text yesterday with my sale, wanted to see more interior shots even though the ad is full of them. Number was an overseas one, got an email from trademe saying under no circumstances am i to make contact so deleted.

Yep me too, got a text yesterday with my sale, wanted to see more interior shots even though the ad is full of them. Number was an overseas one, got an email from trademe saying under no circumstances am i to make contact so deleted.

Prob same dude, this dude also wanted to know more about the interior. Was his email address walkingdall@gmail.com

Ha yep that's him. His account has been suspended.

Does anyone else get scammers texting them when they are trying to sell a car?

Have had 3 of them text me so far, I emailed one back just to waste his time and told him that I want $60,000 for the car - and he still wants to buy it lol....

Had one on the weekend. Couldnt even get the model correct on the text.

Bloody scammers...i had one guy reply to my trade & exchange listing (now sella) wanting to buy my $500 scooter and said wanted to see it but was on a ship in bermuda ( i hope he got lost there) and was able to pay me, but i needed to give him my paypal details etc...i replied with a half page full of expletives and skull ringing tell off that he must not have read again...just made me so mad!!! :angry:

Bloody scammers...i had one guy reply to my trade & exchange listing (now sella) wanting to buy my $500 scooter and said wanted to see it but was on a ship in bermuda ( i hope he got lost there) and was able to pay me, but i needed to give him my paypal details etc...i replied with a half page full of expletives and skull ringing tell off that he must not have read again...just made me so mad!!! :angry:

sounds similar

Hi, how i wish i could come and inspect and testdrive this car but currently i'm working away from the country. I'm a marine engineer who's on a ship right now in Bahamas.so i'll be buying the car without seeing it, Due to the distance as me being in Bahamas presently, i'll arrange the pick-up of the car with a Private Courier Service as soon as you get your payment, I need you to provide the following details so that i can proceed with the Payment...

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :

Your Mobile Number :

Price is ok

Soon as i make the payment and you get the funds, the Courier Service will come and pick up the car at your home at your convenient time also the courier will help me sign the required papers.

Have a nice day

Prob same dude, this dude also wanted to know more about the interior. Was his email address walkingdall@gmail.com

Ha! that was mine too! Mine was at least 6 months ago too! (only been buying cars lately!)

even paypal isn't 100%. saw this report about a kiwi girl sold a handbag to aussie. She setup paypal account, got the money so sent the bag.

turns out the money was stolen and the paypal reversed the amount, and started chasing her for payment.

of course the police couldn't be bothered actually going after the scammer.

Troy,

I got that exact same email when i was selling my e30. Passed details onto my mate who works in transactional fraud investigation.

Apparently it is a really common type of scam for them to come across and alot of people fall for it. Scammers are usually are traced back to countries in Africa e.g Nigeria.

Hi, how i wish i could come and inspect and testdrive this car but currently i'm working away from the country. I'm a marine engineer who's on a ship right now in Bahamas.so i'll be buying the car without seeing it, Due to the distance as me being in Bahamas presently, i'll arrange the pick-up of the car with a Private Courier Service as soon as you get your payment, I need you to provide the following details so that i can proceed with the Payment...

Your PayPal e-Mail Address :

Your Mobile Number :

Price is ok

Soon as i make the payment and you get the funds, the Courier Service will come and pick up the car at your home at your convenient time also the courier will help me sign the required papers.

Have a nice day

This is the exact wording I got, and I was only selling a ute!! He made it sound like a super car!

Edited by David

I think some of them are just... set emails.

as long as you reply, the next "one" sends, saying the exact same thing.

old story now, started about 5-7 years ago when i tryed to sell mine.

get your address, name DOB, bank account number, etc to try to steal from your money.

Name and dob ain't gonna steal sh*t, you have to be brain dead to allow them to steal from you.