Sign in to follow this  
sidewayswhat!

m50b25tu conversion e30

I'm after some help with my conversion, I just brought the motor and have it sitting in the shed yelling at me, but I know I need other stuff before I can start doing the conversion, I NEED to know what other parts I need to put the m50 into the e30 and where I can the parts from, any help would be amazing.

As i said in your other thread, just do a search and read. All the answers you need are at your fingertips allready

Ive just done that conversion, youl want ATLEAST a 2.8 or you might aswell stick with a m20

as said before, heaps of info on the net- google e30 24v

pm me if you get stuck

Germ

^^^^^ Rubbish

I kind of agree. Its a bit of a wasted exercise if you currently have an M20B25 in which case the minor increase in power to the M50 isnt worth it imo. but if you currently have an M40 or a m20b20 then they above is rubbish, an M50b25 will be well worth it.

there is virtually no extra effort in going for an M52 though, and with prices similar to the M50, you would be silly to go the M50 route unless you already had the engine.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

I kind of agree. Its a bit of a wasted exercise if you currently have an M20B25 in which case the minor increase in power to the M50 isnt worth it imo. but if you currently have an M40 or a m20b20 then they above is rubbish, an M50b25 will be well worth it.

though i would go for the M52 if i did it again. engines are almost the same price as M50s now

Thought yours was an M52?

Thought yours was an M52?

it was. i was talking from his perspective, if he should do it then he should go for the M52 anyway as they are more or less the same price. sorry i should rephrase my comment

Thought so, ha not needed.

Just come round again sometime and have a chat and you can make a list out of wha I used haha.

Just come round again sometime and have a chat and you can make a list out of wha I used haha.

Haha will have to have a beer as well, atm I have a small 1.8 M10B18 which is only just moving under its own power when it wants to, I doesn't start atm so Its getting ripped out and sold or junked (which ever comes first),

I have a fair list of what I need:

-E34 sump, dipstick, and dipstick tube, (I know the oil pick ups are the same but I'll get one just in case) $250-$300?

-E34 throttle cable $130-$150

-E28 M3 engine mounts $50-$100 each

-MK2 Golf brake booster $50-???

-Gear box (probs go g260 with brand new HD clutch) $350+

-M20 fly wheel (shaved down 1/8th of a thousand) $150+

-M20 starter motor $90-$120

-M40 radiator (which is the same as a M42?) ???

-Custom Headers ????

Is there anything I'm missing apart from the harness side of thing which I need a diagram for, Are my prices about right as well roughly?

I also need to get a power steering pump and MAF sensor for my engine.

Haha will have to have a beer as well, atm I have a small 1.8 M10B18 which is only just moving under its own power when it wants to, I doesn't start atm so Its getting ripped out and sold or junked (which ever comes first),

I have a fair list of what I need:

-E34 sump, dipstick, and dipstick tube, (I know the oil pick ups are the same but I'll get one just in case) $250-$300?

-E34 throttle cable $130-$150

-E28 M3 engine mounts $50-$100 each

-MK2 Golf brake booster $50-???

-Gear box (probs go g260 with brand new HD clutch) $350+

-M20 fly wheel (shaved down 1/8th of a thousand) $150+

-M20 starter motor $90-$120

-M40 radiator (which is the same as a M42?) ???

-Custom Headers ????

Is there anything I'm missing apart from the harness side of thing which I need a diagram for, Are my prices about right as well roughly?

I also need to get a power steering pump and MAF sensor for my engine.

I think youll find a hard time coming up with an E28 M3.... the E28 is a five series. you need any E28 mounts provided its from an M30 or S38 engined E28.

you dont HAVE to get a Mk2 Golf booster, there are plenty of VW/Audi/Porsche group options. For example i used a Porsche 944 booster. Also long as the brand is Alto (or something like that) and is smaller than your e30 booster it should work.

M40 = M42 if both E30s, but M42 E30s are rare in this part of the world

You need custom headers, or have the OEM ones bent and lengthened. Exhaust itself must be 100% custom.

sorting out what gearbox you are going to use is just as important as the rest of it, as in itself creates issues, such as which driveshaft and selectors to use. and thats not as straightforward as you might think

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

you also need E36 mounting arms and E34 dipstick and tube if you dont already have them

you also need E36 mounting arms and E34 dipstick and tube if you dont already have them

I've already got the e36 arms I got them with the engine, I also got the engine loom and ecu