Sign in to follow this  
tire

Small split in sump - weld or replace?

I just discovered a small split in the (alloy) sump of my M30B35, about the length and width of a thumbnail. Drips about every half hour with car off.

I have replaced 2 sumps so far in E30s and I'm really quite sick of it. Is it feasible to drain the oil and tow it to a workshop to be welded? Has anyone had this done before?

Thanks.

Edited by tastic

I used jb weld on mine, worked perfectly

It would have to come off to weld it Max. The heat of welding would create a sump fire or an explosion. The oil would also prevent the alloy from welding properly. It needs to be perfectly clean

With alll that gear in the shed (i mean the tools, not the sh*t) surely its easy to remove!

Yea socket on the end of a cordless drill would do that part pretty quick I guess. I'll try JB weld and maybe some knead-it first.

Had the same thing happen to my mums Astra, caught a dirty great big rock on the metal road leading to her place. Tore a 7x35mm ish hole through the sump, lost total contents of engine in about 15 seconds. Towed the car back home courtesy of neighbour with 4wd ute, removed sump and had a local alloy fabricator weld the bugger together - total cost was less than $100 if memory serves :) Will Knead-It still keep its bond under temp and exposure to oil?

Yeah if an engineering workshop welded up my completely snapped in 2 places alloy outboard bracket for free, then yours should at least be cheap as chips.

Yeah, theres a guy I used down the road from work to tac my baffle into the sump for a box of tuis. As glenn said, needs to be perfectly clean though. Shitload of brake clean etc does the trick.

Thanks for the offer James, I don't pass through there that often but if the timing is right I will take you up on that. Chances are I will end up taking it off and take it around the corner to the Grey Lynn Pit Stop, pretty sure the guys there are into E30s. Will report back with JB weld and Knead-It results first, AJ kindly drained the sump for me earlier, leeeeegend.

Edited by tastic

Make sure you follow the instructions very carefully the better you prep the surface, the better will be the result

I have used knead it before... it works for awhile at slowing the leak however the road vibration and speed bumps soon knocked it around and loosened it up.

I have an e30 which came with a aluminium patch welded over a crack in its sump.

My jb weld patch still holds and its been a while since i fixed it

Cleaned, welded and painted for $60:

post-2398-1328670091.jpg

post-2398-1328670099.jpg

Ace.

control arms went in fine?

Yep, your pickle fork did the trick and hardly damaged the old joints. I'll probably be working on the car tonight from ~8, will give you a text.