Sign in to follow this  
pr0fess0r

2001 E46 iPhone options

Hi Guys

I recently bought a 2001 330i with a factory Business MD unit and boot CD stacker.

Head Unit : Posted Image

The stacker had no cartridge and after picking one up from HellBM it worked sporadically (frequently unable to read CDs) and now one of the CDs is jan ed and the cartridge.

A friend gave me a MiniDisc recorder but I havent been able to find the right format (hi-MD, NetMD etc) for a disc (using SonicStacker) that will work on the head unit.

I want to be able to play tracks from my iPhone 4s through the stereo without spending a huge amount of money (i.e. <$500). I thought about one of the car lighter charger-FM transmitter-cradle deals fro JB HiFi but they're $150 and I hear the FM transmitters are terrible.

What sort of options do I have for replacing the CD Stacker (maybe with an mp3 CD stacker?) or integrating the iPhone into the sound system (without sacrificing the radio)?

Cheers and thanks in advance

Lucas

Edited by pr0fess0r

Hey lucas!

I reckon a DICE unit is the best option to go in terms of what you're after, I paid around 350 for the kit and I can play crispy clear quality sounds from my phone. It replaces the CD stacker so no more CDs, but who uses CD's now days?

Just give me a text and I'll help you out!

Yongxi

Hey lucas!

I reckon a DICE unit is the best option to go in terms of what you're after, I paid around 350 for the kit and I can play crispy clear quality sounds from my phone. It replaces the CD stacker so no more CDs, but who uses CD's now days?

Yongxi

I got a grom audio model has usb,aux in and bluetooth and it was very cheap,you can find them on ebay,very good service and works well,company are good to deal with

The format to use is the most basic one, none of those 2x/4x capacity from the later generation MDs. If your's a Sony MD recorder, you should be able to set which format to use when transfer as NetMD. (NetMD just means able to connect to computer, you can still choose what format to write to the disc with supplied software.)

Hey lucas!

Yongxi

Thanks Yongxi - so the unit goes in the boot? How does it connect to the phone?

The format to use is the most basic one, none of those 2x/4x capacity from the later generation MDs. If your's a Sony MD recorder, you should be able to set which format to use when transfer as NetMD. (NetMD just means able to connect to computer, you can still choose what format to write to the disc with supplied software.)

Thanks, I'll keep playing with the settings :)

Hi Guys

I want to be able to play tracks from my iPhone 4s through the stereo without spending a huge amount of money (i.e. <$500). I thought about one of the car lighter charger-FM transmitter-cradle deals fro JB HiFi but they're $150 and I hear the FM transmitters are terrible.

What sort of options do I have for replacing the CD Stacker (maybe with an mp3 CD stacker?) or integrating the iPhone into the sound system (without sacrificing the radio)?

Cheers and thanks in advance

Lucas

I just fitted an "anycar link" to my E46 for a new iPhone 4S. Only cost $149 and works pretty well. There is also a bluetooth option which is a few $$$s more, I didn't need it as car already has it from factory.

The only problem I had with fitting it was mine is a later unit with two extra connectors on the back and it needed a bit of stuffing around to get the factory bluetooth kit to work at the same time as the iphone, but eventually got it sorted thanks to the net.

As yours has the factory CD changer there will be a connector you can use no trouble. It doesn't display any info from the iphone and some of the up/down changes from the unit are pretty random on the phone, but overall I am happy with it.

I will stick a small "project" thread up when I get 5 minutes.

Don't the 2001 units built after a certain date have the option of a 3.5mm jack being installed.

IMO I wouldn't go with Dice - there are lots of poor reviews on the net about it not integrating that well with the steering wheel controls.

Don't the 2001 units built after a certain date have the option of a 3.5mm jack being installed.

IMO I wouldn't go with Dice - there are lots of poor reviews on the net about it not integrating that well with the steering wheel controls.

I don't know about 3.5mm option but this model has no steering wheel controls. I'd certainly prefer a 3.5mm option if there was one.

btw i got the MD going, but the number of tracks you can get on a disc in SP is roughly the same as a CD so there's no real benefit... still looking for the best iPhone solution :)

I just fitted an "anycar link" to my E46 for a new iPhone 4S. Only cost $149 and works pretty well. There is also a bluetooth option which is a few $$$s more, I didn't need it as car already has it from factory.

The only problem I had with fitting it was mine is a later unit with two extra connectors on the back and it needed a bit of stuffing around to get the factory bluetooth kit to work at the same time as the iphone, but eventually got it sorted thanks to the net.

As yours has the factory CD changer there will be a connector you can use no trouble. It doesn't display any info from the iphone and some of the up/down changes from the unit are pretty random on the phone, but overall I am happy with it.

I will stick a small "project" thread up when I get 5 minutes.

I don't know about 3.5mm option but this model has no steering wheel controls. I'd certainly prefer a 3.5mm option if there was one.

btw i got the MD going, but the number of tracks you can get on a disc in SP is roughly the same as a CD so there's no real benefit... still looking for the best iPhone solution :)

the grom one has a 3.5 input, plus usb for memory sticks and an iphone plug,the unit plugs into the cd stacker plug,you lose the cdstacker.you need to buy extn cords which they sell if you want to bring the plugs up front.Mine is a wagon and I ran all the 3 plugs up into the ashtray mount up front and mounted them flush except for the iphone connector which has a lead sticking out the rest look factory fitted.Unit works well and you can change tracks from either phone or stereo system,track data, song titles etc all work on factory screen,bluetooth streaming works well with iphone 4 too cost less than $200

the grom one has a 3.5 input, plus usb for memory sticks and an iphone plug,the unit plugs into the cd stacker plug,you lose the cdstacker.you need to buy extn cords which they sell if you want to bring the plugs up front.Mine is a wagon and I ran all the 3 plugs up into the ashtray mount up front and mounted them flush except for the iphone connector which has a lead sticking out the rest look factory fitted.Unit works well and you can change tracks from either phone or stereo system,track data, song titles etc all work on factory screen,bluetooth streaming works well with iphone 4 too cost less than $200

Thanks for the info :) What was the model number of the Grom unit?

Edited by pr0fess0r

The Dice unit Yongxi mentioned are good and I haven't had any trouble with the steering wheel controls on my X3 or 330, contrary to the other post. pm me if you want more info.

My DICE works perfectly with the steering wheel controls - in fact, it works better than with the radio itself...

There is a known issue with some older style radios which means they need a double key press (one key press clears the screen, and the second actually does what the key is supposed to do). Mine has this issue, but not from the steering wheel.

The only issue I have had was having the ipod too close to the engine bay and it was picking up noise. I moved it back to the boot and no problems. Best bit was I picked it up on Trademe for $70.

I think I'll go with the Anycar Link because it seems to be the cheaper option and easier to install, there's a compartment under the stereo with a popup door that the iPhone and cable would site in nicely. Just have to find out where to get one (probably the AL-1080D) in NZ (does anyone have suggestions?) and get some help installing it.