Sign in to follow this  
gadgetman

E46 Front PDC retrofit

As anyone fitted front PDC to 2002 E46 330 which already has rear PDC fitted? Is there a kit from BMW or

are there OEM kits that can be purchased? Can they be wired into the existing switch & controller?

Any assisted would be greatly appreciated.

yes, I beleive front PDC was only ever a x5,5,7 series thing

Thanks Gents, good to know.

If you are keen have a go at making it up your self us the rear set up as a pattern and go for it. Get a wiring loom etc off another vehicle and mod it to suit. May need to check that the main control unit can handle both front and rear first just in case.

yes, I beleive front PDC was only ever a x5,5,7 series thing

my 2005 1 series has front and rear pdc...waste of time imho..when it starts to beep there is so much room its laughable,and when it goes into a solid tone there is still about 300mm......and you dont get any further warning...it should go beep beep until you about to hit something and a soild tone say about 100mm

my 2005 1 series has front and rear pdc...waste of time imho..when it starts to beep there is so much room its laughable,and when it goes into a solid tone there is still about 300mm......and you dont get any further warning...it should go beep beep until you about to hit something and a soild tone say about 100mm

Your 1 series uses a different series of electroincs to the above. 300mm I would say is fairly reasonable for most. remember its for everyone and also has to cover towbars and other protruding appendages.

Agree, 300mm is the standard solid tone, no point in nearly touching before it goes solid.

You can always get an aftermarket sensor kit if you really need one, they don't work nearly as well as the genuine item but it's still something.

After all the advice and offers of pillows, I went ahead and did the upgrade. I got a Smart Park PDC-120PI system that was able to be fitted to the front of the car and is semi intelligent/learning in that if it "sees" an object and it stays at the same distance for more than 3 seconds it stops bleeping, but any movement and it starts bleeping again.

Installation was fairly straight forward, the only struggle was getting the cables routed to behind the glove box via the ECU container in the engine bay. The spare spaces in the module rack made the perfect place for the controller and sounder with a short run to the fuse box to pick-up ignition power.

The main driver of the 330, my wife likes it and if it'll help prevent a few scrapes and additional stress in parking spaces it's all good.