Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

Sports/luxury car hire in germany

Hi All,

I'm heading to Germany in September for 5 days. Starting off in munich, working my way up to the Nurburgring, and then back to Frankfurt.

Whilst i'm not keen or silly enough to take a rental car on the ring, i'm looking at hiring something nice, ideally an M car or similar to enjoy the Autobahn highways. Has anyone hired a sports/luxury car in Germany before? if so share your experiences or recommendations. Cheers!

P.S I promise to take and upload pics of the various museums I go to ;-)

With the above in mind, what about actually taking a rental car onto the Nurburgring?

Intend to do this next year

There are companies near the ring that will let u hire race cars.. a race ready e36 325, or even a 911 gt3 were some of the choices. The insurance related costs put me off though. I can enquire and see what they're stance is on taking a rental on the ring.. besides it is a one-way public toll road. Will let you know.

With my business, I get to go to Germany quite often. Last time we were traveling from Frankfurt to Belgium and saw the sign posts to Nurburgring. Ended up doing the detour and then spent half an hour looking around for the start of the ring as all sign posts were pointing to the Grand Prix circuit (long story but happy to explain my learning's via PM).

Anyway chatted to a few people there and because we hadn't pre-booked anything, the track was hired out for the day so first lesson is to make sure track is available. A driver instructor who was teaching some advanced driver training in a works Renault, said we could sit around a couple of Hot Laps with him for a few Euros and that was great. We were the first car out after lunch and we saw 3 deer cross the road in front of us !!! ... big circuit in real forest.

If I was going to do the adventure again, I would book a driver training course that allowed me to learn the track under instruction as that looked a great exercise and several companies there were doing it based in the township.

If you are going to Munich in Sept, I am assuming you are going to Oktoberfest ... Secondly as a 5 series owner, you MUST go to the 5 series factory for a tour as this turned out to be one of my top 5 things I have done to date. You need to book it 4 months in advance and they only do a few English speaking tours per week. We took a train from Munich to Dingolfing as a day trip. It is REALLY worth going to ...

http://www.bmw-plant-dingolfing.com/dingol...m/en/index.html

Suggest you check prominent car hire companies such as SIXT, HERTZ, AVIS. They usually also hire out top end at a price. However, you should find that there are quite nice latest model middle class cars at reasonable rates which would be very adequate to enjoy the Autobahnen.

One advice, don't do there what most do here, that is staying put unnecessarily in the fast lane.

One advice, don't do there what most do here, that is staying put unnecessarily in the fast lane.

Very True. You'll end up in BIG trouble. Or Dead.

We have 5 days to spend in Germany, And the plan so far is to visit the BMW museum, Porsche Museum, and of course the Nurburgring.

My plans for the ring are just to go for a hot lap in BMW the ring taxi. If I can manage to score a few hot laps with a driver instructor that'd be awesome.

I've always wanted to visit the Dingolfing factory, however I never knew they did tours!!

I will be doing a bit of research on driving the bahn beforehand.

RvT - Please feel free to pm me your learnings.

FYI, it's not on the website but the BMW museum in Munich is closed on Mondays.

Found that one out the hard way.

I did the autobahns last year in a rusty diesel VW van. Disappointing when you top out at 130.

The BMW facility in Munich (BMW Welt) is well worth a look. I unfortunately didn't make it to a tour but brilliant place.

In terms of going for a thrash you can hire a BMW by the hour from there http://www.bmw-welt.com/web_rb/bmw-welt/en...d/overview.html just had a look and you can have a new M3 for 40 euro and hour plus some mileage if you do over 150km. Odd system as a day amounts to 4 hours and overnight is 2 hours

Hope it helps