Sign in to follow this  
rusteee

E39 strange noise, any ideas?

Hi guys

Have a 2002 E39 530i which has a weird (not too sure how to describe) noise coming front engine area. Sounds sort of a popping or worn bearing noise? I made a video of it so you can hear, hopefully should be able to hear the noise in the background. Has anyone got any ideas of what it might be?

Performace of car is mint, only issue is when cold, idle is pretty rough for the first 30 seconds or so, then evens out. Not sure if thats related or not.

Cheers for the help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGYauYkOXb0

Edited by rusteee

Bit hard to tell on the video clip, but possibly a tensioner or idler bearing. The running rough cold is probably unrelated. I suggest you get both problems checked out properly

Cheers Glenn. Yea I know it should be checked out properly, but have a hard time getting it anywhere weekdays because of work and don't know anyone open on weekends which is fair enough =) . You don't know any workshops open on weekends do you?

Who ever looks at it will need it overnight to diagnose both of your problems though. You appear from your description to have two issues which I'm sure are unrelated

Well, the noise exposed itself. Driving along and the bloody big under engine plastic cover flew off! Picked it up had a look at it, dont even know what was still holding it there?? Must have been rattling against the bumper as looks like that was about all holding it up. The noise has now gone :rolleyes: now on to finding a replacement. Just thought I'd update. Cheers for the help guys =)

Hi again, sorry to bring up the old thread again, but thought it'd be better then starting a new one.

2002 E39 530i, The friggen noises this car makes :rolleyes: , yet another rattle. I suspect it is in the region of cam chain/tensioner/guide? but thought I'd put the video on, hoping someone may have an idea. The car has done 220k and has had quite a bit of work done to it recently, this noise has only started recently. Does it every time on warm start, and when engine warm at low revs, decelerating (not so much when cold). Sounds to be coming from the front lower area of the engine. I will try buy a stethiscope today and locate exact. Doesn't seem to have any effect on performance.

The VANOS unit is definitly faulty and will be taken care of soon, but I'd say the VANOS has been buggered for some time, and not related to this noise.

I know its hard to tell from video but hopefully its enough to pick up on.

Thanks guys

Edited by rusteee

Three things spring to mind the mechanical belt tensioner, if type fitted is chattering because the spring is loosing it's tension, your water pump is on the way out or one of your drive belt pulleys is worn.

Three things spring to mind the mechanical belt tensioner, if type fitted is chattering because the spring is loosing it's tension, your water pump is on the way out or one of your drive belt pulleys is worn.

Thankyou. Sorry, could anyone get the video to go? Have been having heaps of trouble trying to upload it.

I had the entire cooling system redone, oil filter changed, and all sorts done on this car. For the first week I owned it, the car was silent. As soon as I decided to get all the cooling system done, things started to go wrong :rolleyes: . Spose thats what happens at this mileage. I'm just about to go have a listen under the car with a stethoscope like Glenn suggested in the earlier posts, and see if I can pin point exactly where its coming from.

Vid says "removed by user" :(

Could it be the dreaded Vanos rattle (which is ANOTHER vanos problem, apart from the seals). Apparently it affects the M54B30 more than other models.

Vid says "removed by user" :(

Could it be the dreaded Vanos rattle (which is ANOTHER vanos problem, apart from the seals). Apparently it affects the M54B30 more than other models.

Bugger, I've uploaded it about 5 times ill try again soon. Yea we diagnosed the VANOS unit was really buggered when it was scanned and the results from the VANOS unit were way outside what they should be. Have the parts already coming for that (new seals and rattle fix kit). Would it really resonate that much through the engine though? When listening through the stethoscope the VANOS really does sound horrible. Other than that I couldnt trace any odd noises

Finally got it to work sorry, thats the new link

This sounds a lot like a noise I have noticed from my 525 (which has not had its cooling system overhauled yet) did you find out the cause in the end? I was wondering about either the VANOS rattle or the water pump, but I am no mechanic.

This sounds a lot like a noise I have noticed from my 525 (which has not had its cooling system overhauled yet) did you find out the cause in the end? I was wondering about either the VANOS rattle or the water pump, but I am no mechanic.

No, the noise sort of gets fobbed off by mechanics lol and I wouldnt have a clue. I've had the cooling system done on this, but don't think the viscous coupling was done as its absolutely buggered :rolleyes: doesn't seem noisy from there though. I have had the VANOS unit done, but unfortunately the rattle from that has come back also, maybe its related? Cant really say its affecting the performance of the car though. Let me know if you find anything with your one.

Edited by rusteee