Sign in to follow this  
francoisv

E34 with M52 Conversion

So i purchased what "Appears" to be an Alpina E34, still waiting on convermation from Jerry Clayton, anyways, the previous owner has kindly fk'd the engine up.

So since i have a spare M52B28 at home that was going to be used for another project, I have decided to build it up and install it in the E34.

I have tested the fitment and it fits pretty good and bolts up perfectly to the Getrag 5 Speed E34 Gearbox. The only thing i have a concern about are the Engine Mounts. Has anyone done this conversion before?

E34 M20B25(7) to E39 M52B28...

This is what I've done so far..

M50 Intake with throttle

post-2466-1330563631.jpg

Engine Straight out of E39

post-2466-1330563689.jpg

Removed Engine Cover and all appears to be okay, will just need to clean both upper and lower engine parts

post-2466-1330563749.jpgpost-2466-1330563966.jpg

Now this was messy, M50 Fron Sump which is needed for the conversion...

Before

post-2466-1330563816.jpg

During

post-2466-1330563917.jpg

I didnt manage to get a shot of the Sump after it was made almost spotless along with a good scrub on the bottom end, but i managed to fill 4 Degreaser Caps and empty all 4 cans...Just on the Sump and Bottom End

post-2466-1330564010.jpg

Managed to get the sump on, which took a wee while, but fits like a condom

post-2466-1330563972.jpg

Tonight i will work on tranferring the clutch and flywheel from the M20 and then bolt up the GB for a Saturday Morning engine transplant :-)

Good luck wiring it in.

Have a look on realoem and compare the parts that mount the m50 and m20 engines to an e34

The flywheel might need a bit taken from it

The gearbox angle might be angled a bit to the right

Edited by bbs

Good luck wiring it in.

Have a look on realoem and compare the parts that mount the m50 and m20 engines to an e34

The flywheel might need a bit taken from it

The gearbox angle might be angled a bit to the right

I had a look at realoem, they didnt offer much on part comparing, but Brent from this forum knows a bit, plus has some parts, so ill hopefully get his head around things...

my advise would be to get an M50B25 from a wrecker thats also trashed, and swap the engine mounts but more importantly the loom onto your M52 engine. and then go from there. using the M52 loom has all sorts of issues.

as far as wiring goes between attaching the M50 to the body loom, should be pretty straight forward as that engine came in that chassis so will be wiring diagrams on the net

So new clutch arrived yesterday and the whole assembly has been dropped off to Bob Mead in New Lynn (Thanks to Brent) to have it balanced and machined. One i get the kit back, will bolt it up to the Getrag Box and then see how much wiring is actually needed, and from what im told, it seems like alot...

More updates to come

Thanks for comment on my build, yours is lookin rather slick itself, everyone knows E34's are the best 5 series there is ;)

How did you go with your M20 flywheel? Im taking mine into work tomorrow to cut that meat off the back of it

How did you go with mounting the engine into the car with the Getrag? I used the RH side mount from the M20 and it aligns the engine with the box very well but the intention was to stand the engine up more