Sign in to follow this  
KwS

525i Motorsport

Yup, quickly gave up on the honda i had, just wasnt really doing it for me... and now im back in a BMW.

2000 BMW 525i Motorsport

Titanium Silver

2.5L M52B25TU Double Vanos engine

Steptronic 5 speed

Motorsport pack (wheels, suspension, interior, kit)

Factory Xenon headlights

Shadowline

Auto dip mirror

On-Board monitor

Slotted/drilled rotors front and rear

Simota panel filter

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Need to fix the OBM which is only displaying a white screen atm. Thinking i might upgrade to the widescreen model or a dynavin unit.

Edited by KwS

Found the list of my option codes the other day...

Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)

S261A SIDE AIRBAG FOR REAR PASSENGERS Side airbags for rear passengers

S320A MODEL DESIGNATION, DELETION Deleted, model lettering

P337A M SPORTS PACKAGE M Sports package

S339A SATIN CHROME Shadow-Line

S354A GREEN STRIPE WINDSCREEN Green windscreen, green shade band

S423A FLOOR MATS, VELOUR Floor mats, velours

S428A WARNING TRIANGLE Warning triangle and first aid kit

S431A INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-D Interior mirror with automatic-dip

S438A WOOD TRIM Fine wood trim

S441A SMOKERS PACKAGE Smoker package

S459A SEAT ADJUSTM., ELECTR. W. MEMORY Seat adjuster, electric, with memory

S473A ARMREST, FRONT Armrest front

S481A SPORT SEATS F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER Sports seat

S522A XENON LIGHT Xenon Light

S534A AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING Automatic air conditioning

Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)

S548A SPEEDOMETER WITH KILOMETER READING Kilometer-calibrated speedometer

S602A ON-BOARD MONITOR WITH TV On-board monitor with TV

S676A HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM HiFi speaker system

S694A PREPARATION FOR CD CHANGER Provisions for BMW 6 CD changer

S705A M SPORT SUSPENSION II M sports suspension II

S709A M LEATHER STEERING WHEEL M sports steering wheel leather

S715A M AERODYNAMICS PACKAGE M Aerodynamics package

S775A INDIVIDUAL ROOF-LINING ANTHRACITE Headlining anthracite

S785A WHITE DIRECTION INDICATOR LIGHTS White direction indicator lights

S788A M LT/ALY WHEELS BMW LA wheel, Individual

L807A JAPAN VERSION NATIONAL VERSION JAPAN

S818A MAIN BATTERY SWITCH Battery master switch

S823A HOT CLIMATE VERSION Hot-climate version

S845A ACOUSTIC BELT WARNING Acoustic belt warning

S875A INFRARED REMOTE CONTROL Infrared remote control

Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)

S925A SHIPPING PROTECTION PACKAGE Transport protection package

Standard equipment

Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)

S202A STEPTRONIC Steptronic

S520A FOGLIGHTS Fog lights

S853A LANGUAGE VERSION ENGLISH Language version English

Information

Code

Description (interface)

Description (EPC)

S555A ON-BOARD COMPUTER On-board computer V with remote control

and today my replacement display arrived. Ripped into installing it as soon as i got home from work as the nonfunctional 4:3 display was starting to piss me off. Now im running the widescreen 16:9 display. Its still running the old aspect ratio, need to replace the video module, but ill sort that out later. Its also very awesome getting TV channels 1-5 in the car :D

Old

Posted Image

New (before i refitted the trims)

Posted Image

Finally stopped procrastinating and replaced the Oil Filter Housing seal which since i got the car has been leaving an awful mess on my garage floor.

4 hours and many bashed knuckles later, not a job i want to do again in a hurry, but its done.

Whilst i was there i also removed the trumpet on the airbox and reset the ECU, goes much better now and hopefully this will mean no more having to clean the garage floor.

Next job is valve cover gasket, spark plug seals and vanos seals.

Finally stopped procrastinating and replaced the Oil Filter Housing seal .....

*groan* I still have to do that... it's just a touch weepy - leaves a drop or two a week, but I want to do it soonish (next 6 months). At least I have the Vanos done already ;) .

Was it all pretty straight forward?

Once i got the fan and shroud out (which turned out to be easier than i anticipated) its only a matter of unbolting the alternator and PS pump. Pretty easy really, just very time consuming. the seal i removed was hard as a rock and VERY flat. The block was covered in oil.

One tip i found that seemed to be kinda important was to remove the oil filter housing cap so the oil drains down into the sump. My car had been off overnight but the canister still held heaps of oil until i removed the cap and let it drain. If i didnt drain it i imagine itll all come pouring out once you remove the housing from the block.

Oh, and make sure you keep the OHF bolts in order as they are all different lengths.

Edited by KwS

Once i got the fan and shroud out (which turned out to be easier than i anticipated) its only a matter of unbolting the alternator and PS pump. Pretty easy really, just very time consuming. the seal i removed was hard as a rock and VERY flat. The block was covered in oil.

One tip i found that seemed to be kinda important was to remove the oil filter housing cap so the oil drains down into the sump. My car had been off overnight but the canister still held heaps of oil until i removed the cap and let it drain. If i didnt drain it i imagine itll all come pouring out once you remove the housing from the block.

Oh, and make sure you keep the OHF bolts in order as they are all different lengths.

Cheers, nothing to dread then! I still have to fit a new drivers door lock mechanism - I'm dreading that! It looks to be a pain in the arse.

hey mate, just saw this page! you were the one who sold me the white screen monitor through trademe? Part worked fine! Also nice car you have there!!

Found the list of my option codes the other day...

and today my replacement display arrived. Ripped into installing it as soon as i got home from work as the nonfunctional 4:3 display was starting to piss me off. Now im running the widescreen 16:9 display. Its still running the old aspect ratio, need to replace the video module, but ill sort that out later. Its also very awesome getting TV channels 1-5 in the car :D

Old

Posted Image

New (before i refitted the trims)

Posted Image

What is the new unit you fitted? & how much? (feel free to Pm me). Cheers

Good to hear that my old display worked for you :)

Its an OEM BMW 16:9 unit from either an E38 or E39, usually later model. I got mine through Ray at HellBM. Plug and play for the most part.

Im still needing to fit a replacement video module to fix the 4:3 image on the wide display, but need to do my vanos seals first (which will be happening next weekend).

So yeah, did the valve cover seals and rebuilt the double vanos unit today. Its as hard as i expected, but very time consuming. Wouldnt be too keen to do it again.

The vanos failure mode on these is that the seals on the pistons stop sealing, and you end with with rough idle (mainly when cold), hesitation, loss of power. Mine was quite bad for the symptoms, and when i checked the clearance of the pistons in the bore they could freely move, in all directions. Guess thats what 250,000ks does.

The vanos rebuild has had an immediate effect, with the idle being smooth and rock solid now. no more hesitation when cold and ive gained a bit of power up top but a huge whack of torque in the low to mid range. Ive only done around 60 ks so far, but apparently it gets progressively better until fully bedded in at 300ks. Seems economy it better too, the OBC is already reporting better milage, but ill give it a tank or two and average it.

The valve covers on my car were basically solid plastic, barely sealed and leaked a fair bit of oil. Protip that really helped me, if you have stuck, plastic spark plug gaskets like i did, use a heatgun/hair dryer to heat them up. Makes them soft and you can pry/lever/pull them out easy (without heat they just chipped and cracked)

Very impressed with the state of the engine too. At 250,000ks i kinda expected sludge and crap when i took the cover off. No such horror, just nice clean, golden, sludge free internals. I already knew it was really well serviced in the past, this just confirms it.

One thing i regret is reusing the crush washers on the vanos pipe. i replaced both when i did the OHF gasket, and thought i could get away with reusing them again. Theyre now seeping oil >_< luckily easy to get at and cheap to replace.

Just a couple of pics of the process. Sorry for the quality, used my iPod touch as i dont care much if i cover it in oil.

Valve cover off

Posted Image

Vanos unit off

Posted Image

Vanos unit

Posted Image

Posted Image

Back together

Posted Image

It's quite awesome the difference the Vanos seals makes.

I did it with under half that milage, the they were absolutely poked. There was even side-to side movement of the piston in the bores!

I just did the OFH gasket too - easier than the Vanos, although I didn't order new fan belts and iders etc - I should probably do them one day.

Good work!

yeah, both my pistons has side to side movement, and quite a bit of it too.

Did another hundred or so ks today, still getting better.

id like to know how much it roughly costed all up to do the vanos if you dont mind?

The vanos kit is around $100 all up (including shipping) from Beisan Systems. I only needed the seal kit, not the rattle kit.

I also did the valve cover gaskets, but im sorry i dont have the pricing for that on hand. Was pretty reasonable through the sponsor, EuroItalian.