Sign in to follow this  
KwS

E39 4:3 display white

Hi

Just purchased a 00 E39 (JDM import) and it has the old style 4:3 monitor. Only issue is that the display is completely white, no image or anything. The radio still works and i assume the cd changer will too. I have the original jap nav cd in the unit in the boot.

Ive had a nosy and all the connections in the boot are well, connected. Beyond that i dont really know what im looking at in there.

Anyone know how to remedy this? Its a real pain navigating the radio stations blind.

Posted Image

Hmmm, strange, either the LCD is gone burgers or the connection behind it isn't connected properly?

Welcome to the world of E39 Ownership, how are you finding the car compared to the E36 you sold recently?

The radio stations should show up on your dash cluster though, at least mine does, as does CD tracks etc.

Edited by Charles32

Hmmm, strange, either the LCD is gone burgers or the connection behind it isn't connected properly?

Welcome to the world of E39 Ownership, how are you finding the car compared to the E36 you sold recently?

The radio stations should show up on your dash cluster though, at least mine does, as does CD tracks etc.

How do you get it to show up on the dash cluster? Keep in mind i dont have steering wheel controls, but i do have the High OBC.

Its a completely different beast compared to the old E36. The E39 (even though its not that much more modern) makes my old low k E36 feel old and average. With the better engine, trans and suspension the E39 walks all over the E36 when it was auto (maybe even when it was manual too).

Much prefer the E39 interior, and having 4 doors is pretty novel.

Mmm now you mention it, it probably only shows up on the High OBC when using the steering wheel controls.

The 4:3 screen on mine isn't great, it has a vertical line through it, but still works for now.

I got a CD Stacker from a 2005 E46 which has enabled me to use MP3 CD's, however if I go passed Track 99 it gets a bit upset and locks up.

Hopefully someone else has some more insight.

I would disconnect the battery and unplug the Nav unit, then reconnect battery (so that it reboots) and see if that helps.

I think there's a Blue connector for the video signal.

Edited by Charles32

Hi

Just purchased a 00 E39 (JDM import) and it has the old style 4:3 monitor. Only issue is that the display is completely white, no image or anything. The radio still works and i assume the cd changer will too. I have the original jap nav cd in the unit in the boot.

Ive had a nosy and all the connections in the boot are well, connected. Beyond that i dont really know what im looking at in there.

Anyone know how to remedy this? Its a real pain navigating the radio stations blind.

Posted Image

Quite likely a crook nav unit. Disconnect it, let the car go to sleep (about 20mins) & when it reboots if the nav unit is faulty the screen will show different graphics than what you are used to - this is the video module now controlling graphics now that there is no nav unit connected.

If still no graphics - probably the monitor itself.

Also try disconnecting the battery & see if it resets.

You can leave the nav unit disconnected or better still - convert the system to run NZ nav. PM me if you wish

Ive tried disconnecting the battery for half an hour, no change. Also tried removing and disconnecting the nav unit, but didnt leave it to sit for a period of time afterwards.

Ill give it a shot after work. Cheers :)

Edited by KwS

Ive tried disconnecting the battery for half an hour, no change. Also tried removing and disconnecting the nav unit, but didnt leave it to sit for a period of time afterwards.

Ill give it a shot after work. Cheers :)

My pick is a faulty LCD display.

They fail when old...

Replace just the LCD display part of the on-board monitor, very easy DIY

Get 2nd hand screen from USA or Europe, much better price than Stealer or car wreckers...

Hmm damn, unplugged the nav unit, left for half an hour, fired up, no change.

Removed monitor from dash, checked connections. Looks like the monitor has failed :(

Can do a 16x9 upgrade $280

Mmm now you mention it, it probably only shows up on the High OBC when using the steering wheel controls.

The 4:3 screen on mine isn't great, it has a vertical line through it, but still works for now.

I got a CD Stacker from a 2005 E46 which has enabled me to use MP3 CD's, however if I go passed Track 99 it gets a bit upset and locks up.

Hopefully someone else has some more insight.

I would disconnect the battery and unplug the Nav unit, then reconnect battery (so that it reboots) and see if that helps.

I think there's a Blue connector for the video signal.

Does the 4:3unit have the BM tuner or is it built in ? One solution is that if these use a BM53 / 54 tuner module it's possbile to reflash the eprom that contains the software for operation of the Mp3 / Cd stacker function. The re-flash for more recent software however is dependant on the assocatied ROM version next to the eprom.

Edited by Neal

Thanks to Ray ive now got a functional 16:9 display in the E39, so obviously the LCD module in he 4:3 has failed. Straight plug and play.

Still need to sort a newer model video module (as im stuck with 4:3 AR on 16:9 display), which Ray also has, but thats another item for another day.

A quick pic i took whilst fitting it, before the trims went back on

Posted Image

Now your in trouble !

Now you can add , video module II , Bluetooth ULF , Reverse Cam (hotwire or swauto can sort) , DVD player , Freeview tuner , Incar PC / netbook , iphone intergration! , replace your amps , speakers , add sub , nek miniute .....

yeah, plan is new VM, MK4 nav conversion, reverse cam and replace the standard old jap FM tuner for an updated NZ one.

You won't regret the upgrade - believe me

yeah, plan is new VM, MK4 nav conversion, reverse cam and replace the standard old jap FM tuner for an updated NZ one.

Going down a similar route. Have the mk4 & BM53 tuner. I haven't got around to adding RCA's mod to the bm53 yet . Have a bunch of amps and speakers to replace the factory setup. Brought a netbook with 700 odd cd's to replace the cd stacker running via de Ibus adaptor controlled via the 16:9 screen.The netbook also has a usb bluray player cd/dvd/bluray duties should they be needed.

Also want to add reverse cam and parrot bluetooth to replace jap telephone module at a later date.

now that ive got this working i finally found out how to use the 3.5mm aux input thats been wired in, yay, ipod.

What im wondering is if there is any way to change the TONE settings for the AUX tv channel? As soon as you hit TONE it goes back to CD. The sound is a bit flat (not enough EQ settings in ipod) and i want to change the fade/balance settings.

What im wondering is if there is any way to change the TONE settings for the AUX tv channel?

Nope.

A bit of a design oversight by BMW, IMHO.