Sign in to follow this  
aespablo

Pirelli vs Michelin vs Bridgestone, etc.

When I was a teen-ager back in the Philippines, one was considered really cool if he had Pirelli tyres on his car. Later on Michelin tried to catch up on the same status followed by Uni-Royals, Continentals then Bridgestone. I lost track of what was considered a "cool" tyre after Uni. May I have some opinions on what brand is currently as a cool set of tyres? Cheers.

When I was a teen-ager back in the Philippines, one was considered really cool if he had Pirelli tyres on his car. Later on Michelin tried to catch up on the same status followed by Uni-Royals, Continentals then Bridgestone. I lost track of what was considered a "cool" tyre after Uni. May I have some opinions on what brand is currently as a cool set of tyres? Cheers.

Depends what you are doing - but I'd be very interested in a better tyre than the Michelin Pilot Super Sports currently rolling under my M3. Insane grip - wet and dry. Whether they are "cool" isn't as important as whether they hang on!!!! (to me, anyway)

Depends what you are doing - but I'd be very interested in a better tyre than the Michelin Pilot Super Sports currently rolling under my M3. Insane grip - wet and dry. Whether they are "cool" isn't as important as whether they hang on!!!! (to me, anyway)

Hi, E90 M3, let's say a tyre not for motorsport activities but just for going to work and hanging out. What brand would turn heads and make them say, "nice tyres"?

Hey there umm well i don't really know whats cool but over the years i have many brands of tyres on my cars.It's all down to budget what you can afford your driving style and what you drive.I wouldn't just put a set of tyres on for the cool factor as there a key item that keeps you in contact with the road.I'm running Kumho Ecsta 16"s so far I'm very impressed by them as price wise there reasonable and great grip in the wet and dry.But there on a 318i so there's not a lot of power running through them.What kind of wheels do you have size etc? i would upgrade that as well if you want that sort of attention from people.

Hey there umm well i don't really know whats cool but over the years i have many brands of tyres on my cars.It's all down to budget what you can afford your driving style and what you drive.I wouldn't just put a set of tyres on for the cool factor as there a key item that keeps you in contact with the road.I'm running Kumho Ecsta 16"s so far I'm very impressed by them as price wise there reasonable and great grip in the wet and dry.But there on a 318i so there's not a lot of power running through them.What kind of wheels do you have size etc? i would upgrade that as well if you want that sort of attention from people.

Hi EVILRE30, I am upgrading from a 205x55x16 to a set of mags which are 17x7.5 and I would like a really nice set of "good looking" tyres. Let's assume that money is not really an issue, so what tyres would be considered "flash"?

Dare I broach the idea that you may not be serious about this. I suspect that if money is free and easy, you wouldnt be driving a 2002 318i?

There is no 'cool' in tyres.

No one will look.

Brand image is related directly to faith in tyre performance. And as such, image is not in your interests.

Edited by nath

aespablo, You've asked a question that can have VERY opinionated responses, as you'll be noticing already.

If a tyre performs at a safe level, as per the risk profile you find acceptable, then there is no reason why the 'cool' factor can not be added to selection criteria.

I personally focus on getting the best performing tyre for my money, and not care how it looks or if it's kewl, but thats just me.

Prime examples of not cool looking tyres are, if some can cast their mind back, would be:

Dunlop W10's with the rim protectors bigger than J-Lo's backend

and to a lesser extent the FM-901's

Of the same era, Bridgestone S-02's & RE-711's were very cool looking tyres.

A friend of mine got sone new rubber for his late model Caldina Family Wagon.

It has the stock 17's, wanted some middle of the road tyres, thus got some Bridgestone MY-01's.

And they looked terrible on the rims & worse when put back on the car.

He promptly took it back and got them changed to RE-11's, not 'cause he needed the extra performance or really wanted to spend the extra $$, and they look much better.

On another note, if you're changine the rims, something a bit wider than 7.5" would suit the E46 better, they have pretty cavernous arches that like to be filled.

Edited by E30-323ti

Triangle are pretty cool

Good Year F1's for me!!! One of the best tyres on the market. Incredible in wet and dry. Symmetrical look awesome. Asymmetric perform better. But overall it is up to you really. There are plenty of tyre brands that perform and look great!!! So if I were you I would just go to the shop and see, which look you like out of the ones that perform best and then buy them.

Thanks swordfish. I checked out the F1 in the internet and I think is it is a good looking tyre. I will add it to my list of choices.

^^^^^ ha was just thinking that myself