Sign in to follow this  
slvrbmw

E39 broken seat base

Hi guys, is it possible to replace the lower side part of the seat base on the E39? The car I am looking to buy has a broken base by the seat controls. Would be good to know potential cost.

Cheers

Hi guys, is it possible to replace the lower side part of the seat base on the E39? The car I am looking to buy has a broken base by the seat controls. Would be good to know potential cost.

Cheers

Got the E38 one plastic welded by a good welder and now its good as new. Was like $50 to do

I think this is a common problem on the E39 (along with the cup holders :rolleyes: ) I fixed mine and took some photos but when I try and attach photos in this posting I get:

"Upload failed. Please ask the administrator to check the settings and permissions"

So until I get permission to attach photos, I cant show you my easy way to fix it. I had tried several other fixes beforehand but none of them last well. The current one has been fine for months.

At the front of the seat switch block is a blank for a switch that is not fitted. (Hmmm, what switch went in there)

I removed this blank and hot glued a steel eye (like a picture frame hook) into it. I used a large eye and completely filled the blank with glue. I put the blank back in the seat and from the outside it looks no different. But it now has a strong anchor point that the plastic switch block can be pulled back in against the seat with. I just used some strong cord and tied it back against the underside of the seat. From the outside there is no visible difference.

^

Just upload pic to www.iforce.co.nz and resize it to 25% if its an iphone pic as it'll be too big, then copy the link that has the tags around it and paste it in a reply

Cheers

shouldn't be more than $100

Cheers - we can give that a go

So the problem

http://iforce.co.nz/i/5hr4fttb.lfo.jpg

Take the blank out

http://iforce.co.nz/i/w5yrckzk.zhj.jpg

Glue in a hook

http://iforce.co.nz/i/sxngzmfu.4gq.jpg

And tie a tether onto it

http://iforce.co.nz/i/3zfzehfs.qda.jpg

And all fixed

http://iforce.co.nz/i/uhv3fj5o.1gj.jpg

^

Just upload pic to www.iforce.co.nz and resize it to 25% if its an iphone pic as it'll be too big, then copy the link that has the tags around it and paste it in a reply

Almost buddy.

Put the img tags on the front and back to embed them

Edited by shaneg

That's a good idea Dave. I have had mine plastic welded too, twice infact but the second fix has held well.

The side cover is generic & also fits E38's which have more seat controls - lumber support etc, which is what the blank is for.

These are a crap plastic component, as with a lot of the BMW plastics - my understanding the recycled componentry requirements in Europe

Even if you have an E39 that has not broken this plastic, this fix would reduce the risk of it breaking in the future.

Thanks for the "E38 generic" info Grant. There is another unused blank at the rear of the plastic. If I can find an original switch to go in that hole, I would consider putting my garage door opener inside the seat and wiring it to that switch. (At present my complete garage door opener sits in the door side pocket)

That's a good idea Dave. I have had mine plastic welded too, twice infact but the second fix has held well.

The side cover is generic & also fits E38's which have more seat controls - lumber support etc, which is what the blank is for.

These are a crap plastic component, as with a lot of the BMW plastics - my understanding the recycled componentry requirements in Europe

Even if you have an E39 that has not broken this plastic, this fix would reduce the risk of it breaking in the future.

Thanks for the "E38 generic" info Grant. There is another unused blank at the rear of the plastic. If I can find an original switch to go in that hole, I would consider putting my garage door opener inside the seat and wiring it to that switch. (At present my complete garage door opener sits in the door side pocket)

I've got this for a garage door opener - OEM option from the US

Need to check the frequency your garage door is the same as this unit. I can't remember the two frequencies offhand (300... & 400...) but I understand the US generally use the opposite to us. Just so happened that our door was the same as the US spec unit so was all good

post-1215-1331975225.jpg

You may need to check the bolster on your seat also as these flatten out over time with the force applied to them as you get in and out of the vehicle. This in turn puts pressure on to the plastic cover resulting in them braking and they are not cheep to replace new from the dealers. Also be careful if you have to remove the seat control knobs as these have a habit of braking off real easy, the main back and forward one I found to give the most trouble I wish you luck.

have some new seat plastic side bits if needed

Just testing to see if I can imbed those photos

Posted Image[/url]

So the problem

Posted Image[/url]

Take the blank out

Posted Image[/url]

Glue in a hook

Posted Image[/url]

And tie a tether onto it

Posted Image[/url]

And all fixed

Posted Image[/url]

Oooops didn't mean to put the South Pole one in there (No BMWs down there that I saw) but at least I got the picture thing sussed :rolleyes:

good idea, wont work on motorsport seats though as they use that "blank" for the thigh bolster adjustment.