Sign in to follow this  
tmase

E39 530i M-Sport Tyre Options

Firstly, I am a tyre noob!

It is time to change the rear tyres on my E39 before winter sets in - standard tyre size 255 40 R17. I currently have Hankook Ventus HR II on the back, but I find they don't have much grip with 2mm of tread left, it'll oversteer without a heap of provocation.

On the front I have Goodyear Eagle GS-D3s with a heap of tread left, which seem pretty good. I am having a bit of trouble deciding what to get for the rears. I don't do track days or anything but I wouldn't mind something that grips a bit in the wet and isn't overly loud in the road noise department, but I am aware that you can't get everything in one tyre for peanuts.

I was trying to track down some Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics IIs but it seems there are none in the country. I hear reports on Dunlop Direzza DZ101s that range from very good to completely terrible. The guys in the UK websites tend to favour the Falken FK452. Does anyone know much about Toyo T1 Sports or Proxy IVs. Also a lot of tyre retailers are trying to push the Dunlop Sport Max.

I've done a bit of independent research on the web and rung a few tyre outfits down here in Christchurch, but it seems the more I look into it the more confused I get as to which tyre would be suitable. I sort of had $330 per tyre in mind as the higher end of what I was prepared to spend, but if I could get away with less that'd be good.

I am aware from reading posts on here that this can be a bit of a polarising topic, but I'd be interested in what people think. Does anyone have any ideas?

I have toyo proxes on all 4 corners.

Excellent grip, havent really pushed them hard in the wet yet but they are good for normal wet driving.

Only problem with reading overseas reviews is they dont necessarily have the sh*t metal roads that we do here, a lot of the tyres are designed for the nice flat tarmac road, whatever thats called?

The roads here in qtown are even worse as they use a lot of river stones, then grit is dropped in certain areas for the snow season, michael hill must cry every time he goes out in his aston martin.

Anyway i think the proxes were designed for large saloon cars, aka the 5 series

The ventus i had previously werent that great, quite noisey had a few understeer moments.

Toyo would be my recommendation, zenitti the forum sponsor has a mag and tyre place in chch so might pay to call/pm him, might be able to hook you up a good set and price.

I don't know any specifics, to be honest.

One thing I DO know, is make sure they are rated heavy enough for the car. I would assume the E39's would want at least a 95 or close to it.

Higher load riatings tend to give less "squishy" ride as they are firmer sidewalled.

Looking at the Toyo Proxes. Can get them for $269. They are 98W rated which are higher than the 94 rated tyres that are on it currently which should be even better for weight. I guess that'll make the ride even firmer than it already is!

Apparently the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric II does not come in 255 40 R17 even though the catalogue says it does which is a bit of a bugger.

Looking at the Toyo Proxes. Can get them for $269. They are 98W rated which are higher than the 94 rated tyres that are on it currently which should be even better for weight. I guess that'll make the ride even firmer than it already is!

Apparently the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric II does not come in 255 40 R17 even though the catalogue says it does which is a bit of a bugger.

Tim, I have had Toyo Proxi 4 (in 18'') on our E39 & gone away from. Their durability on the rear is not good, the sidewalls would appear to be too soft & causes premature wear on inside. I had 3 sets of rears on (doing around 15k each time) before finally getting pissed off & changing. They are still running on the front & are ok there.

Edited by hotwire

Yeah its an uncommon setup apparently.

Porsche, skylines (not sure of which one), and aston martin have the same setup.

Had some guy trying to sell me Eagle f1's a while back for the front, mightve been $235 ea then when i asked about matching rears in 255, they werent available either.

Reading between the lines I am taking it you have a staggered set up 235 fronts and 255 rears , which is what my E39 had.

Msport 5 series all get 235/255 setup

So youve tried all tyre brands and each specific model under the same set of circumstances.

I enjoy driving with the toyos, the only time ive come close to their limit was on a private road at a rather high speed on a rather tight corner i was getting a little bit of a 4 wheel drift, was about 140kmh

Tim, I have had Toyo Proxi 4 (in 18'') on our E39 & gone away from. Their durability on the rear is not good, the sidewalls would appear to be too soft & causes premature wear on inside. I had 3 sets of rears on (doing around 15k each time) before finally getting pissed off & changing. They are still running on the front & are ok there.

What psi where you running on the rears out of interest?

Have got my rears on 39

Edited by shaneg

Were running @ around 36 - 37, although sometimes a little lower when failing to check :o I run them @ 38 now Suspension geometry is fine.

As I have mentioned in another previous thread - on the rears I went to a cough... Chinese Tyre, (against my normal priciples) asymetric & a higher silica content. They have been on over two years (about 30k) & still @ about 40% wear left. Very minimal inside wear. Admittedly not a real performance tyre but the car is not driven as a race car & they are actually quite adequate. Not ovely hard as many Chinese are.

Had goodyear F1's on the front and Bridgestone gt's on the rear, 235/45 17. Found this to be a good set up in both the wet and dry. Pressures set at 38 with one or two people higher if fullly loaded.

The Hankooks that are on at the moment were getting a bit chewed out on the insides, I was putting that down to the sh*t roads down here ruining the alignment rather than the tyres themselves. I'll get a wheel alignment done and see how much adjustment was needed.

Not sure if I could do Chinese tyres, I'll save those for my '87 Mazda!

I'd love to be able to justify Michelin Pilot Sports, but I just don't get to do the sort of driving often enough that would need tyres of that ability. No Proxe 4s in New Zealand until July apparently if anyone else was interested, blame the Ports of Auckland dispute and the Japanese Earthquake. Have a couple of Toyo T1 Sports on order for next week at $290 each, probably a bit stickier and won't last as long I suppose

plus one for the fk452's great tyre

Am running falken fk452's on all corners. 225's on front, and 255's on back. Great tyres, but they get a wee bit noisy after the first 5,000kms.

I'd love to be able to justify Michelin Pilot Sports, but I just don't get to do the sort of driving often enough that would need tyres of that ability. No Proxe 4s in New Zealand until July apparently if anyone else was interested, blame the Ports of Auckland dispute and the Japanese Earthquake. Have a couple of Toyo T1 Sports on order for next week at $290 each, probably a bit stickier and won't last as long I suppose

Great choice in tyre and exactly what I was going to recommend. They tick all the boxes, great performance, quiet, and they wear well :)

Edited by zenetti

Came down to the Falken FK452s and the Toyo T1S in the end. I'll keep anyone who is interested posted on how they go, not sure if anyone else in here has tried these Toyos in an E39 yet. That is if they show up! If anyone cares there were only one set of Direzzas in this size left, good price too - $226 each - but you've managed to put me off them 3pedals!

Thanks all for the suggestions!

Edited by tmase

Nice, i have the t1r, will let you know how they are in the wet when we get rain down here.

Came down to the Falken FK452s and the Toyo T1S in the end. I'll keep anyone who is interested posted on how they go, not sure if anyone else in here has tried these Toyos in an E39 yet. That is if they show up! If anyone cares there were only one set of Direzzas in this size left, good price too - $226 each - but you've managed to put me off them 3pedals!

Thanks all for the suggestions!

I had the T1R's on my 530 sport a few years ago, they were good for the $$$, they did wear on the inside rears which was pretty normal. i dont think they made them in the size i needed for the 540 sport anymore so went with adrenilins