Sign in to follow this  
SLOW36

M43B18? Modify or swap?

Hey fellow bimmersport members what are your opinions on modifying a M43B18 is it worth it?.So far i have given the car a service oil,coolant,filters,spark plugs,radiator,water pump replaced.I am happy with it but wanted to know is it even worth modifying it further.Like exhaust system,CAI, i do plan to change the car to a manual so that might make it more lively.So if i do go with a engine swap what would guys recommend oh and it might sound silly spending cash on a 318i but i'm in Queensland Australia and 320i's and up cost a arm maybe a leg too.

Cheers Jason

better off spending the cash on making it corner better etc, though a manual will make it a lot easier to deal with. CAI pretty much a waste of time, even when done right the cost isnt worth it. exhaust may be worth doing if you want about more fart noise and cats are optional in your state.

Not really IMO,

The sixes are the only way to go if you want to get some decent power out of them without being too serious, its a bit hard with the 4s when they are pretty down on power compared to other 4 cylinders of the same era, just look at what Toyota was doing with its 4s in the 90s!

Perhaps do an M52B28 conversion, seems the most popular upgrade (well in e30s), but you would also have to upgrade the entire drive terrain with the bigger gear... so it gets quite involved, enough so to just sell the 318i and get a 328i or similar for much the same money.

Just drop an Aussie v8 in it. Thatl make it move! :D

as above dont bother with moding the engine.

mayeb a manual kit and some suspension and brakes etc

or just the a m52b28 and 5spd in out of a 328i or even a 325i m50b25

LS2, LS7 or supercharged Ecotec. I'd imagine you wouldn't have a shortage of Holden parts up those ways, if you were looking for a challenge how about a Barra 240T?

Or defer to those that know what they're talking about and go the M50B28 transplant route or just get a car that came with one ex factory. Much easier :rolleyes:

Good luck!

all depends what you hope to do with the car, if your wanting to make some big power then dont bother with the 4

as above dont bother with moding the engine.

mayeb a manual kit and some suspension and brakes etc

or just the a m52b28 and 5spd in out of a 328i or even a 325i m50b25

Hey thanks guys for the advice I've decide to leave the m43B18 alone.And just use it till i have a new engine to swap over.But it will be a m50b25 or m52b28 when i do just have too see whats available at the time.I will do brakes and suspension upgrade and a manual conversion on this engine thou.I don't want to make big power just a bit of go that i can use at track days etc.Holden conversions haha nah wanted to stay with a Bmw engine and one that was originally fitted to that model.

Hey thanks guys for the advice I've decide to leave the m43B18 alone.And just use it till i have a new engine to swap over.But it will be a m50b25 or m52b28 when i do just have too see whats available at the time.I will do brakes and suspension upgrade and a manual conversion on this engine thou.I don't want to make big power just a bit of go that i can use at track days etc.Holden conversions haha nah wanted to stay with a Bmw engine and one that was originally fitted to that model.

for insurance reasons thats a good idea