Sign in to follow this  
Ahmedsinc

E36 keys

Can anyone tell me if my 1994 325i has EWS? My car only came with one key and I'm trying to figure out what my options are with regards to a spare key or two. Sorry if the info is already posted, but I'm damned if I can find it. Cheers

IIRC EWS1 came out in early 94 so quite probably. Check build date - VIN number?

I see this guy: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=468952020 has coded uncut keys available.

Will need cutting & programming to the car but is probably the cheapest option available

most likly not , is the key shaft silver(chrome) then no . if its a gold colour then yes.

most cars i see with ews are 96 onwards and some 95's etc

most likly not , is the key shaft silver(chrome) then no . if its a gold colour then yes.

most cars i see with ews are 96 onwards and some 95's etc

Brent - just checked EWS documentation I have & it states:

9/93 - 12/93 the first "Drive away Protection" system was fitted.

From 01/94 EWS 1 replaced this system & was fitted to all cars from this date

EWS 11 was introduced from 01/95 on

Have looked up the VIN on ETK, puts the build date at 04/94. Key is a chrome shaft with a wee LED torch thingy in the body instead of remote lock / unlock buttons if that helps :)

Have looked up the VIN on ETK, puts the build date at 04/94. Key is a chrome shaft with a wee LED torch thingy in the body instead of remote lock / unlock buttons if that helps :)

Can't say I was aware (not noticed) of the chrome/gold difference denoting EWS or not. Not doubting Brent on that though:-

Your key - sounds like no EWS.

I would say it is a runout & still has the first generation "Drive Away Protection", which simply uses door locking switch to trigger the immobilization, rather than EWS 1 (which has a different key - chipped).

Soo, to the locksmith & just get a key cut

Can't say I was aware (not noticed) of the chrome/gold difference denoting EWS or not. Not doubting Brent on that though:-

Your key - sounds like no EWS.

I would say it is a runout & still has the first generation "Drive Away Protection", which simply uses door locking switch to trigger the immobilization, rather than EWS 1 (which has a different key - chipped).

Soo, to the locksmith & just get a key cut

Excellent, thanks!

FYI I had an EWS key imported from the dealer for like $150. (no remote though, just the grey base one)

FYI I had an EWS key imported from the dealer for like $150. (no remote though, just the grey base one)

Might PM you for details. Will take it to a locksmith / Brent / stealers to confirm just which version of key I have. Thanks for the help lads :)

If the key is EWS you should be able to split it in half and see the chip in side it.

Might PM you for details. Will take it to a locksmith / Brent / stealers to confirm just which version of key I have. Thanks for the help lads :)

I am familiar with the key you have (same as E30 - a centre button to activate a light) & 99% sure that version never had a chip fitted option.

Just split the key open, no chips or circuitry to be seen. Just a small annoying spring that flew out and now resides in the one spot underneath my computer desk I can't reach.

Any recommendations to where to have the replacements cut? Would the local Armstrong get it right first time?

I had a local locksmith done mine a while ago and works fine first go.

I guess you could drive your car there, have the keys cut then make sure it works before you leave.

Edited by SpikeyLemon