Sign in to follow this  
m2geek

Engine Bay Cleaning/Degreasing..

Who regularly cleans/degreases their engine bay? And what do you use cos mine is FILTHY lol...

Last time i cleaned/degreased the engine bay on a car (my 626 v6) that it ended up with water in the plugs and ran like sh*t until i could clean/dry it all out which sorta put me off doing it.

Would suggest if you do it get a plastic bag and cover up anything that looks like wetting it might break it.

If your engine doesn't leak oil it should be a once in a blue moon occasion.

I've blown a circuit in my ECU by cleaning the engine before, proceed with caution! Didn't think it would happen to me, and it was a real pain to diagnose

Who regularly cleans/degreases their engine bay? And what do you use cos mine is FILTHY lol...

Last time i cleaned/degreased the engine bay on a car (my 626 v6) that it ended up with water in the plugs and ran like sh*t until i could clean/dry it all out which sorta put me off doing it.

I just run the motor, spray[ the whole engine bay] with degreaser and waterblast, never had any trouble.

Edited by bmrmad

The engine bay itself is just real filthy, like, the engine cover is Grey with dust n muck, I want it CLEAN :P

There is a carwash down the road from here were you can use spray-on degreaser then spray it all off. am just wary of it after last time

on a related topic too, anyone got any ideas for getting baked on silicon shine stuff off the engine bay? Degreaser?

Dealer went apeshit with the shine when i got the car, didnt have time to clean it off and now its left everything looking manky (discoloured plastics, paint etc)

on a related topic too, anyone got any ideas for getting baked on silicon shine stuff off the engine bay? Degreaser?

Dealer went apeshit with the shine when i got the car, didnt have time to clean it off and now its left everything looking manky (discoloured plastics, paint etc)

Oven degreaser stuff. Works a treat.

Brakeleen / degreaser for any oily bits first ... the rest is rag(s) + tooth brush, half a day with meguiars tar and bug remover.

Works really well on metals and kind on paint.

Two show and shines with placings + a magazine shoot agree ... it works :D (all different cars)

Water and engines is a bit of a no no. Too easy to screw and altenator or other parts.

• Like 1