Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

E39 528i burning cash - 20.2L/100kms!

Sorry, I actually meant cluster! Low cluster has a picture of a car, High cluster has a text display and no car picture. You can unlock it and get it to show the coolant temp (I can't remember how now - Google)

Otherwise you can get Glenn or someone to watch the real-time data to see what the operating temperature is via a scanner etc.

The gauges on these things seem to be calibrated to show normal from actual temps of high 70's up to well over 100, so you could be running near the low end a lot, and it's burning more gas than needed. Even though the gauge shows it up to temp, it may be cold.

Mine's low but Ray said he might be able to scan the car this weekend so I can take a look then. I can get a much more respectable 14-16L/100kms driving in manual mode so I'm sticking to that until I can find a fix for the problem.

So killed two birds with one stone at HellBM this morning. Fitted an OEM air cleaner box and scanned the car again. It seems that the ASC fault code had not been deleted after the cable was repaired so the car had been compensating for the fault causing the high fuel consumption. Fault deleted, drove around a bit, rescanned - everything good and doubtless the OEM box and air filter helping immensely. Also ran into Steve aka Crunchy who had advised contacting Ray about replacing the air intake assembly with OEM, so thanks gents!

Drove back from Silverdale to city - about 45kms in total - using 9.2L/100kms, compared to just under 16 on the way over to Ray's. Job done (Vanos seal next!!)

Edited by jeffbebe

Drove back from Silverdale to city - about 45kms in total - using 9.2L/100kms, compared to just under 16 on the way over to Ray's. Job done (Vanos seal next!!)

Awesome! Sounds a whole lot better!!! Well done.

Maybe that's my problem aswell. I only get about 350-400km around town in the 328i and expecting 500km from the 318i as it's at 1/4 left and done 400km so far. Might need to book them into the stealer...

So killed two birds with one stone at HellBM this morning. Fitted an OEM air cleaner box and scanned the car again. It seems that the ASC fault code had not been deleted after the cable was repaired so the car had been compensating for the fault causing the high fuel consumption. Fault deleted, drove around a bit, rescanned - everything good and doubtless the OEM box and air filter helping immensely. Also ran into Steve aka Crunchy who had advised contacting Ray about replacing the air intake assembly with OEM, so thanks gents!

I have new vanos seals, I ordered them for my 1996 528i but sold it before I had a chance to install.

If you want them let me know, (for Single Vanos 528i) will do it cheaper what you would pay from the supplier.

http://www.beisansystems.com/products.html the One on the top Left

Edited by Charles32