Sign in to follow this  
Apex

Confirmed the F30 M3 is a straight 6!

nissans have "stepped" cvts???

That's just pre-determined positions within the CVT setup isn't it?

I'm still a manual fan though. It just feels right, and makes you think about driving. I've always said that if you can't drive a manual (excluding physical disabilities), you shouldn't be driving. If you aren't co-ordinated enough to operate a clutch, how can you be coordinated enough to brake, turn, look, indicate, accelerate, judge, adjust and avoid at the required times :o

I agree with this...

People that are more interested in the driving experience are usually better drivers..

Yeah, but it's a Holden. 'nuff said :ph34r: As the revs climb, it clearly become less efficient ;)

There isn't many engines around that use less fuel as the RPM climbs lol.

I agree with this...

People that are more interested in the driving experience are usually better drivers..

:blink: :blink:

I'm on the fence on the manual verse DSG/SMG verse auto. I've owned manuals and recently SMG's, the wife auto's for cars and manual smg's on motorcycles.

Each has there place and I don't nesscary believe that driving a manual makes for a better driver.

On the commute a manual offers nothing for the driving experence. Espically when your clawing along slightly below first gear. But under light traffic going over an incline / twisty road the manual is perfect for control.

Auto's are great for the comute and you get used to the behaviour of throttle position verse change points. You can put just as much thought into driving them. Best gearbox for towing. Only minus is they are crap going down inclines even in sports mode.

However , I'm an SMG convert now. Super fast gear changes , Flat foot shifting brings a smile. Want a smoother gearchange , just lift slightly before changing. Hit heavy stop and go traffic , put it in auto mode. Track day , pull .5 to 1 meters on the manual car in front every gear change. I don't miss modulating a clutch pedal.

I'm on the fence on the manual verse DSG/SMG verse auto. I've owned manuals and recently SMG's, the wife auto's for cars and manual smg's on motorcycles.

Each has there place and I don't nesscary believe that driving a manual makes for a better driver.

On the commute a manual offers nothing for the driving experence. Espically when your clawing along slightly below first gear. But under light traffic going over an incline / twisty road the manual is perfect for control.

Auto's are great for the comute and you get used to the behaviour of throttle position verse change points. You can put just as much thought into driving them. Best gearbox for towing. Only minus is they are crap going down inclines even in sports mode.

However , I'm an SMG convert now. Super fast gear changes , Flat foot shifting brings a smile. Want a smoother gearchange , just lift slightly before changing. Hit heavy stop and go traffic , put it in auto mode. Track day , pull .5 to 1 meters on the manual car in front every gear change. I don't miss modulating a clutch pedal.

i dont mind the "auto" part of it but its the disconnected feel you sometimes get that i dont like.Strike that ...detest and thats why a auto has never been in the garage.My day to day driving is not stop go traffic,i might change my mind then.

More info and spy shots here:

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/new-bmw-m3-sedan-set-for-2013-debut-20120629-217o1.html

Graham - you need a shorter diff and taller 1st / 2nd and probably 3rd. Proper ratios not road car ratios.

For a road car, 6 gears with top gear being a genuine overdrive should be enough.

Greg - what's wrong with DSG? Its two clutches. "D" is rubbish, especially on my car, as it changes gear with fuel economy in mind but that's hardly the boxes fault. I mean I am sure the Porsche PDK is way better, but so it should be given the price difference.

Geez, I am sounding like an automated manual fanboy - I am far from it, but they are better than I expected.

There was talk that the next gen Clio RS was DSG only, there was a huge stink about it from the manual fans!

If they want to sell cars mums and keep the greenies happy it needs to be an option.

It's a reworked n55 block with a new spooling setup.

Also just to point out the title the chassis number is F80 not F30.

Now if only I could afford an e92 m3, the first and final NA v8 m3.