Sign in to follow this  
turoa

e30 325i daily/racer/do things that I shouldn't do in my tow bus

Hi all,

Im new here and new to bmw's. Ive always had 4wds (I'm only 20 so not really a huge achievement) and have always thought about buying a car cause I quite like driving fast. Unfortunately that means that Ive been either doing it in my thrasher offroad car (see below) or in my 80 series tow bus (which has a massive turbro, big tyres and lots of fuel)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ive always liked european cars as opposed to japanese (I also have a 1965 vw baja bug project) and so a euro was kind of an obvious choice (well technically mines a south african, but Ill claim it). The final straw was when I went out for our uni car clubs track day at ruapuna and I got enthused and took the cruiser out for a few laps

Posted Image

It put the biggest grin on my face and I got rather competitive trying to chase down a gsr. Unfortunately, due to having the aerodynamics of a hospital and weighing more than an american, it got away. I only missed one corner (twice) while I was out and only got one tank slapper on so was well worth it!!

Fast foward like a whole 2 days and I had my eyes peeled for a car. Tossing up between an audi s2 (which went for more than my budget) and an e30 (I flat with sammyj so an e30 knowledge base was close) I found one on trademe that looked rough and had a blown diff. Went to look at it anyway and suprisingly it was in quite good nick. The previous owner had recently done a manual conversion (with a new carbon kevlar clutch.... score!) and then stacked it into a post, smashed the spider gears to bits and then took off to oz. I knew I wanted it so quickly liquidated some assets and scored it for the small price of sweet f**k all!!

First impressions were that it was rough but as I pulled out almost another dissasembled car from the inside it got better. Recaro leather seats were mint, dash was crack free, had angel eyes with hids in the low beams, only one of my borbets was damaged, and after stripping the alarm out (btw those things are rediculously easy to pull out! You could steal a car with some sidecutters and alligator clips if you wanted) she fired up first pop and settled into a silky smooth idle. After a lil tidy up and pulling the diff to weld up so I could drive it we took it for a thrash. After driving it I had a raging erection and a new found passion! Unfortunately this all happened last weekend and sunday night the diff gave up the ghost again (with no spidergears there was not much to weld the sidegears to that wasn't cast) so its been sitting in my driveway awaiting some new parts.

So fast foward to last night a mate and I decided to go halves in a parts 320i. The exteriors mint, the motors dropped a valve and so ultimately, fawked but it gives us all the parts I need to make mine mint :rolleyes: . So hopefully we'll get that in the next week or so and Ill be set! P.s sorry for the bad pics, my pos android phone that had a reasonable camera broke so Ive got a temporary crappier android with an unreasonably bad camera.

Heres the dash

Posted Image

And then under that magical piece of carpet

Posted Image

My smurfy seats

Posted Image

and exterior shots

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the damage from asshattery

Posted Image

So stay tuned for future updates!! Hopefully Ill get it fully legal again before the next track day Im going in (14 july)

Edited by turoa

ahhhhh I almost brought that car before he listed it but my E30, E39 and mortgage is enough punishment already haha, he is/was a member on here. i have a couple of spares from a SA 325i if your after any. whole car half stripped in garage. bilstein rear lowering springs also in the rear end of it...

Nice buy. I was seriously considering picking this up but couldn't get round to check it out before the auction closed and wasn't willing to take the risk without looking at it.

Would have loved to see that landcruiser going round Ruapuna!

Lol was on my watchlist too, i just wanted the rims though lolol

Yeah those Borbets are nice! If you ever want to get some new wheels, sell those to me! Interior looks good. Congrats

ahhhhh I almost brought that car before he listed it but my E30, E39 and mortgage is enough punishment already haha, he is/was a member on here. i have a couple of spares from a SA 325i if your after any. whole car half stripped in garage. bilstein rear lowering springs also in the rear end of it...

Hmm I could be keen on some of those! How muchy? The ones that came in the back of my car were completely had it so had to pull them out and put standard ones back in

Nice buy. I was seriously considering picking this up but couldn't get round to check it out before the auction closed and wasn't willing to take the risk without looking at it.

Would have loved to see that landcruiser going round Ruapuna!

Yea it did look pretty rough in the photos but turned out mint!

I didn't think it would be that impressive but apparently I had a wheel off the ground a few times

Yeah those Borbets are nice! If you ever want to get some new wheels, sell those to me! Interior looks good. Congrats

Hahaha you're the second person thats asked if I want to sell them. I wasn't that keen on them at first but they are growing on me. If I can get some 17" bbs reps for a decent price Ill seriously consider parting with them :rolleyes:

Hahaha you're the second person thats asked if I want to sell them. I wasn't that keen on them at first but they are growing on me. If I can get some 17" bbs reps for a decent price Ill seriously consider parting with them :rolleyes:

They are pretty sort after, and if genuine and good condition can get more over seas than in nz uf you can be bothered to do that. A lot rarer than bbs rims, let alone bbs reps every second fanboy has.

The rims are replicas from memory. Think he brought them off johnno.

They are pretty sort after, and if genuine and good condition can get more over seas than in nz uf you can be bothered to do that. A lot rarer than bbs rims, let alone bbs reps every second fanboy has.

Really? Didn't realize they were that sort after haha, how much you reckon they're worth? And yep fairly sure they are replicas. Extrenally they are exactly the same though

LOL i had this car on my watch list too, was keen to buy it to use for parts to convert mine to manual, however I ended up buying the manual conversion parts from a member on here in Auckland.

Mines also an SA Import with leather seats.

Fun cars for sure

14 hours, 1050km and a whole lotta monster later we dragged this bad boy home from gore

Posted Image

Posted Image

And look..... Crack free dash!!

Posted Image

Seems like a waste to pull it apart, but the motor sounds f**kered, and the interiors pretty crap. But it has only done 145000km!

So hopefully in the next couple of weeks Ill have mine sorted out :P

Got it going in the nick of time to go round ruapuna last weekend :rolleyes: went well until the hubcentric rings melted and the wheel came loose and came off late afternoon! Other than that I had fun!

Posted Image

Posted Image

On another note, anyone need e30 parts? I need to get rid of the parts car