Sign in to follow this  
pommy

new BMW

Hi all hope somebody can shine some light!

I have recently purchased a 1998 e36 compact 318i for the wife! now she is on my case because it struggles to start from cold. However when hot or even travelled 5-10klm's it starts fine there after?

can anybody suggest what this could be? dont think its the battery as no light on and starts fine when hot?

cheers guys Chris.

is it slower to turn over, or just takes longer to catch? i know youve had a few cars does it appear to turn over slower than it should? most cars will start easier when hot anyway

It takes longer to start. Apparently it cuts out then you restart it the car shakes a little when you give it a few revs it starts to get ower and shes good to go!

I wonder if its ignition problem i will check properly on sunday when free?

Cheers.

Possibly a cam sensor, you'll need to get a tester on it, will point it out straight away.

Thanks greg. I think you might be right i had a listen to it today! It started no problem because it was warmer? And i could hear some annoying noise on the side above the alternator dont know if that would be a factor? So if it doesnt start when cold could it be the cam sensor?

Perhaps but for sure I would get a diagnostic tool on it, if the sensor is faulty the tool will let you know.

have you checked the spark plugs?

I know it's old school.... but still.