Sign in to follow this  
Arma

CAI for e39 2.2 520i

Heya,

I'm looking for cold air intake for my e39 520i (2.2l m54 engine).

Tried searching @ beastpower.com but they seem to only have CAI for 525i+ . I'd prefer the short (e.g. like these) - unless I can get a hold of something that protect against hydro locking (not sure if this is common, have not experienced it, but better to be safe than sorry).

One I've found on beastpower, but for the 525i, is:

aFe Stage 1 Cold Air Intake System Type Cx for the BMW 525i and 528i (e39)

Anyone know any other places where I could order some decent CAI for the 2.2l e39 520i from?

Heya,

I'm looking for cold air intake for my e39 520i (2.2l m54 engine).

Tried searching @ beastpower.com but they seem to only have CAI for 525i+ . I'd prefer the short (e.g. like these) - unless I can get a hold of something that protect against hydro locking (not sure if this is common, have not experienced it, but better to be safe than sorry).

One I've found on beastpower, but for the 525i, is:

aFe Stage 1 Cold Air Intake System Type Cx for the BMW 525i and 528i (e39)

Anyone know any other places where I could order some decent CAI for the 2.2l e39 520i from?

I think member "Jeffbebe" has one for sale. Look in the "For sale" forum under "e39 bits and pieces for sale" I think

Edit: Found it for you. Link here: Forum topic: E39 Bits and Pieces for Sale

Edited by andy_e39

I think member "Jeffbebe" has one for sale. Look in the "For sale" forum under "e39 bits and pieces for sale" I think

Edit: Found it for you. Link here: Forum topic: E39 Bits and Pieces for Sale

Oh yeah, I saw that thread earlier. That CAI was taken out of a 96 e39 with m52 engine and I was not too sure whether that would still be compatible with a m54 engine or not - which is the main reason I looked away.

If anyone has input / knows about CAI compatibility between different e39's please let me know :D. Don't want to end up getting one that doesn't suit the engine.

Thanks for looking though Andy!

With modification it'll fit, M54 and 52tu have the throttle body more or less under the intake manifold. Also has an outlet for the idle control valve so would need to play around fitting that too.

If you're expecting to go faster with such an upgrade you're better off to just sell the car and get an E39 model with a bigger engine, at least a 528i.

If you're expecting to go faster with such an upgrade you're better off to just sell the car and get an E39 model with a bigger engine, at least a 528i.

Will be getting a new car next year for the bigger 'grunt'. :) For now just doing minor upgrades to this one - and CAI are fairly cheap and easy for DIY.

I was hoping for more throttle response than expecting it to make my car fast.

Edited by Arma

it will only "upgrade" the noise, there is no performance upgrade

Wouldn't better air intake have some effect other than just the noise though? Although I'd accept that it wouldn't be any noticeable performance gain :)

Did a bit more searching - any idea whether this would fit the 520i (it's listed for 525i):

aFe Pro Dry S air intake e39 525i/528i

If anyone might know, what kinda extra mods might be required, if any, to fit that into a 520i opposed to a 525i?

Pretty sure they already have a CAI.

If ya like the noise then go for it. Highly unlikely to be any better than stock.