Sign in to follow this  
five_seriesmsport

twin exhaust question?

I have a 99 540i motorsport V8 which has the M5 quad exhaust tail pipes, The car sounds good at idle but when you put your foot down it sounds like a jet plane, I guess this is called alot of back pressure and would really like the car to have a nice growl when your on the pedal instead of sound like a jet plane. How would I change this without removing the exhaust system and without compromising power. The car has the correct bumper to suit these tail pipes and are tucked under just like the M5. I will see if I can attach a photo. Thankyou for any suggestions ;)

just drill some holes in your exhaust.

Hahaha ^

In all seriousness if you want to loose the 'rushing' jet plane sound, you need to loose any single exhaust sections, replace them with dual straight pipes, a pair of resonators and an X pipe...

The rear mufflers are equally important, they need to be straight through, not the baffled style which kill the sound.

Edited by Michael.

The e39 M5 genuine exhaust is pretty quiet. Most of what the driver can hear in an M5 is a sweet induction noise. If you have the genuine M5 mufflers then it will probably be disappointingly quiet.