Sign in to follow this  
///MPROVD

E36 Manual conversion

hey guys my auto box has stop going ive decided to convert to a manual id been planning it befor but i now have a good reason to do it haha so i want to do the conversion myself im looking for a zf conversion kit and also some advice, what i should be aware of problems etc if anyone has any kits available and a cost for the whole kit also how important is the diff ratios between the auto and manual. what will i do with the ecu if it will need to be switched to a manual one ive heard something about using an auto ecu and grounding some terminals ???

m50b25

cheers

Get hold of Ray (HellBM), he will sort you out with the right stuff or will do it for you (for a fee of course..)

Get hold of Ray (HellBM), he will sort you out with the right stuff or will do it for you (for a fee of course..)

hey yes i did ring ray with a quote of 2300 im not sure is this includes gst i wanted to do myself for the experience as well as the savings which based on this quote i could do myself alot less est a kit to be 1700 ish but getting it done is still on the table it all depends on the advice you guys give me about the problem i may encounter my main concerns being the ecu and the diff if this will effect my response and speed accuracy

I'd be impressed if you could do it for $1700 with ZF. Whats a ZF worth these days?

Is there a tag on the diff with a ratio on it?

I'd be impressed if you could do it for $1700 with ZF. Whats a ZF worth these days?

Is there a tag on the diff with a ratio on it?

not sure havnt check i did see a conversion kit on trade me that is a zf for 1650

325i normally just have the getrag box , which is fine , i have one from a 93 325i in my 328i with a supercharger , had no problems with it.

easy enough to sort wiring , only have to join 2 wires together so it will start.

and 2 wires for the reverse switch .

pull out the fail trans light from the cluster if it bothers you.

diffs can eb changed if you like

factory 325i with jatco i think use a 3.73 ratio?? will be quite revvy , mayeb change to a 3.46 or

3.15(factory 325i manual diff ratio) etc

have done a few conversions over the years just finished off doing a couple in the last few weeks etc.

or just buy this one.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=508464853

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

325i normally just have the getrag box , which is fine , i have one from a 93 325i in my 328i with a supercharger , had no problems with it.

easy enough to sort wiring , only have to join 2 wires together so it will start.

and 2 wires for the reverse switch .

pull out the fail trans light from the cluster if it bothers you.

diffs can eb changed if you like

factory 325i with jatco i think use a 3.73 ratio?? will be quite revvy , mayeb change to a 3.46 or

3.15(factory 325i manual diff ratio) etc

have done a few conversions over the years just finished off doing a couple in the last few weeks etc.

ok i was concerned about the power transfer if a getrag would be strong but what would you charge for a getrag conversion which one is best a 220 240 260 it has a jatco auto so the ratio would be as you said

Pretty sure it's a 250 Getrag. The others sit at a different angle. They are usable but a bit of dicking around which you probably dont want to do, considering it's your first etc.

ok i was concerned about the power transfer if a getrag would be strong but what would you charge for a getrag conversion which one is best a 220 240 260 it has a jatco auto so the ratio would be as you said

the proper box to use is a getrag 220 box ,,

have just had to rip out an old getrag 240 box that had come from about a 1984 m20 320i etc

that some other crowd had stuffed into some poor guys nice 328i sedan that he brought not knowing what was in there,

what a mess of a job , clutch slipping, stuffed flywheel ,gearlever all leaning over , floppy as gearlever , changing gears was like stiring porridge, some of the bolt holes where drilled out etc, odd bolts used,

modified gearlever hanger set up etc.

so we sorted his nice car out with a proper getrag 220 box the correct gearlevers , mounts , drivehsaft etc and brand new solid mass flywheel and clutch kit etc

customer is all happy now.

pm me for $$

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

the proper box to use is a getrag 220 box ,,

have just had to rip out an old getrag 240 box that had come from about a 1984 m20 320i etc

that some other crowd had stuffed into some poor guys nice 328i sedan that he brought not knowing what was in there,

what a mess of a job , clutch slipping, stuffed flywheel ,gearlever all leaning over , floppy as gearlever , changing gears was like stiring porridge, some of the bolt holes where drilled out etc, odd bolts used,

modified gearlever hanger set up etc.

so we sorted his nice car out with a proper getrag 220 box the correct gearlevers , mounts , drivehsaft etc and brand new solid mass flywheel and clutch kit etc

customer is all happy now.

pm me for $$

ok sweet ill do that whats a new clutch kit worth

The diff thing isn't too bad. Its more like a jappa at about 3k on the motorway. I'm used to it now and quite like it. I would only bother changing it if you do long commutes or for LSD.