Sign in to follow this  
WarNox

short shift & alarm

I've been spending way too much time on a non NZ bmw forum (bmw-forums.com) as i didnt know this existed till 10min ago :)

I just have 2 Q's:

Has anyone put a short shift (short throw) into their e36? from a m3 or a z9?

Whats a good alarm to get for a BMW (I live in auckland), was recommended Auto Watch but they're kind of expensive!?

Thnx

Gregor

welcome to Bimmersport, I dont think short shift conversion is very popular for E36's around these parts but I could be wrong. If its anything like an E30 to a Z3 Shortshifter conversion then theres tonnes of people that can offer their advice.

dynatron 7600 is good.

with the alarms, good installer is important....

to quote someone here (forgot who but oh well...)

Average alarm but good install is better then

a good alarm but crap install.

Think that was me.

Second the Dynatron 7600 and also put forward the Mongoose M60 or M80.

I have had a M60 and a 7600 - I'm putting a 7600 in my current car. Good a recommendation as any I suppose. :)

Hey dude

welcome to the site!

yeah i reckon you sould get a dynatron alarm, havent heard anything bad about them and are quite a resonable price too

Dynatron :thumb:

only gripe i have with mine is that the remotes seem to go through batteries quite fast.

thnx guys, i was recommended autowatch by the bmw dealership, they install them into all bmw's tht dont come with factory alarms so they probably wont stuff anything up! but im open to anything for now.

how much for those mongoose ones, they dont have prices on their site!!

how fast is yours going through? I had my 7600 for more than 6 month and only changed battery once so far.

Dynatron all the way.

I think from memory its one of only afew alarms that insurance companys gives discounts on their fees.

all other alarms are a waste of money. Ring your insurance company up and ask them which ones they like and which ones they dont. Its simple

Mongoose is insurance rated sme as dynatron. M80 is equivalent to Dynatron 7600 and costs the same (around $500-550 installed) Don't skimp on installation - pay the extra and get it done properly - otherwise you may as well have no alarm at all - I CANNOT stress this enough.

Yeah ill end up spending about $500, i liked tht autowatch company one bcoz they've done a lot of bmw's and their warranty is pretty good:

if ur car gets stolen with their alarm they pay ur access of up at 1500$ nd rent u a car for 30 days!

but dynatron seems to be the favourite in a lot of places so maybe i should go for tht, mongoose doesnt seem tht appealing, they dont do the installation themselves so u got to find ur own 'relaiable' installer, do dynatron do their own installations?

thnx again!

Dynatron have their own installers, and they also have authorised installers which are not part of the Dynatron company, but distribute their products and install them with full Dynatron warranty.

The only thing I would say about Dynatron is, given their popularity, more theives will start to know how to disable them.

Put a Dynatron in a well hidden location in the vehicle like up under the dash, and then stick an autowatch sticker on the window. In fact that is a good practice anyway - never advertise the alarm you have - advertise a different brand - that way theives who have experience disabling certain alarms will stumble when they come accross yours.

Finally, if you are looking for an installer make sure they are NZ Security Association Approved - if they are, they had to pass certain criteria regarding skill levels and ability, and have gone through police checks etc to become approved so you can be more certain of a good job.

Good advice there. Also my brothers Mongoose remote is flippin huge, and takes up too much space in pockets, compared with my Dynatron remote.

Insurance companies prefer '3 star' car alarms and over.

These are the alarm prices tht i got from dynatron:

D3600 = $480.00

D3800 = $580.00

D7600 = $580.00

D7800 = $680.00 inc GST and installation.

while i decided not to get mongoose and auto watch charge u $550 for one immobiliser alarm with a glass shock sensor, but they have a good waranty deal...so i really dont know now!

www.warlocks.co.nz had a deal going for a Dynatron D3600 with glass break sensor for $345 incl mobile installation with free roadside assistance. They dont do that deal anymore but just tell them one of your friends told you about it, I rang up a while ago and they were prepared to do the same offer despite not mentioning it on there website.

Edited by E30stz

Those prices are at the higher end of average, but not over the top.

I re-iterate - you get what you pay for, and if you pay bugger all for installation, you are wasting your time (in most cases).

yea ill pay about 500.

would 'warlocks' do as good job of installing it as dynatron would though?

Again, you get what you pay for.

A good alarm installation is a big job.

Good installer will take some interior panels off, find a nice place to hide the main alarm unit (god knows where!), run the wires properly (heat shrinks, solders, etc...), put the speaker in some place that can't be muffled (or wires getting cut) easily, etc, etc....

Mobile install might not have as much resource/space/time to do all that.

When I had my 7600 done, they want the car for 4 hours minimum.

(but I gave them a whole day anyway)

Agreed - I know some installers who refuse to offer mobile services as they do not beleive they can do the job to the standard to which they aspire.

HEY ??? IM AT PRESENT IMPORTING SOME SENSOR ALARMS THAT WORK ON REMOTE // SOLAR POWERED WITH BATTERY OR WITHOUT // WHEN TRIGGERED THEY PHONE YOUR MOBIL AND SET OF ALARMS (( BELLS WHISLES AND HOOTERS )) ?? A SUGESTION IS TO ADD A 12 VOLT AMMONIA ALARM INTO ANY SYSTEM YOUVE GOT ??? JO BLOG THIEF WONT WANT TO STAY AROUND AS SOMETIMES THE EARS START TO BLEED

Guest Andrew

HEY ??? IM AT PRESENT IMPORTING SOME SENSOR ALARMS THAT WORK ON REMOTE //  SOLAR POWERED WITH BATTERY OR WITHOUT  // WHEN TRIGGERED THEY PHONE YOUR MOBIL AND SET OF ALARMS (( BELLS WHISLES AND HOOTERS ))  ??  A SUGESTION IS TO ADD A 12 VOLT AMMONIA ALARM INTO ANY SYSTEM YOUVE GOT ??? JO BLOG THIEF WONT WANT TO STAY AROUND AS SOMETIMES THE EARS START TO BLEED

COULD YOU NEVER EVER USE CAPS AGAIN PLEASE FULL STOPS AND PUNCTUATION WOULD ALSO BE MINTASITGETSREALLYHARDTOREAD?EVERYTHING YOUARE SAYING!

lol

anyway im getting an alarm tmrw, $300, its an American brand: OnGuard, dual imobiliser nd yea! I looked a lot of places, decided these guys are pretty good, lifetime warrenty and i dont exactly have one of the 'most stolen cars' in NZ!

so should b ok!

well thnx 4 all ur help :)

I've had 3 Dynatrons installed in different cars, all been perfect (ie, no falsing, worked etc), recommended it to a friend in Chch for his Altezza 3l wagon. Still not fixed. They fried the main computer, set off air bag warning lights. waiting for new computer ($5k). About 5 weeks at this stage. Guy from Warlocks went down to look at it, gave up. Installer IS all important. I have a list of "approved" alarms somewhere, there are heaps. A4 page worth of them. I'll try and find it.

I got a fantastic alarm from Warlocks, they came to my place and did a brilliant job giving me an alarm with double immobilisation and lots of features and the whole lot was only $295! My insurance company recommended them and I'm glad they did, I nearly paid $495 for a Dynatron one with the same features! The guy was real professional, had his tools in a briefcase and soldered and taped everything to make sure it was a minto install. I work in electronics and I've never seen anyone be so careful and tidy with the stuff. Would recommend them to anyone. Had a three year warranty and something like $2000 anti theft warranty. I'm impressed. If you're looking for a cool alarm and don't want to get ripped off I'd give them a call. The guy who did mine was called Andy. He was great. Easy number to remember too. 0800 warlocks.

Jeff