Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Any house sparkys here?

Hmm, looks like LEDSTUFF is in Hamilton now, not Dunedin.

http://ledstuff.co.nz/contact_us.php

So, what is the equivalent LED to Halo wattage? And just how much power saving is there?

http://ledstuff.co.nz/about_leds.php

35w halogen = 3.6w LED.

So, 6x 35w Halogen Faceburners is 210w or .91A~!

if you have 6x 3.6w LED's that's only 21.6w! or 0.094A~!

Edited by antil33t

Hmm, looks like LEDSTUFF is in Hamilton now, not Dunedin.

http://ledstuff.co.nz/contact_us.php

http://ledstuff.co.nz/about_leds.php

35w halogen = 3.6w LED.

Mine were 50watts, replaced with 3watt bulbs, I thought it was 8watt, 8watt LED in the lounge, in saying that the lounge has 12 downlights at 8 watts =96watt as a pose to 1.2kw if they incandescent 100watt bulbs.

Not entirely relevant, I hate the wife leaving the lights on in the kitchen, when I have mates around in the garage drinking I run 2x 2200watt roof mounted heaters which I always forget to turn off at night.

Actually I don't want to get off topic here but this website might raise a few eyebrow's : Visit My Website

post-2864-1346904755.jpg

Edited by The Diesel Guy

35w halogen = 3.6w LED.

While the maths looks OK, you can't compare the light output of the two types of lamp purely by power consumption... You really need to compare the light output in lumens of the 2x bulbs. And in some instances you might actually want to consider the illuminance (in lux) which is the light on the work surface - which can be dependent on the reflector & optic design.

quite happy for this to go off topic clint, makes for interesting discussion! I didn't realise my dish washer is a dollar a load, i thought it would be less than that. and no wonder my power bill has gone up over winter, my "energy efficient" heatpump uses 50c an hour! works about right by my rough calculation, i dont use electric blankets etc or anything else any different between summer and winter!

certainly a "look after the pennys and the pounds will look after themselves" situation huh!

While the maths looks OK, you can't compare the light output of the two types of lamp purely by power consumption... You really need to compare the light output in lumens of the 2x bulbs. And in some instances you might actually want to consider the illuminance (in lux) which is the light on the work surface - which can be dependent on the reflector & optic design.

This, Though I wast just answering westy's question! and LED light is "harsh" imo compared to Incandescent or Halogen lights.

However they are improving, and the more expensive ones are getting there, but you just can't beat a nice warm incandescent bulb haha.

Can I rephrase? :P

How many running hours does it take to recoup the cost of a LED (at say $15) over a 50W 240V Halo (at say %5)?

Can I rephrase? :P

How many running hours does it take to recoup the cost of a LED (at say $15) over a 50W 240V Halo (at say %5)?

the halo will probably be only 12v,what voltage do the LEDs run at?

Edited by kiwi535

I got these:

G9 LED replacements

From deal extreme, for US$5.96 (3 price) and they are a nice warm colour - not quite like the incandecent ones, but very good for the bathroom. We used to only have 1 bulb in each set of 3 that ever worked, because as soon as you put 3 going ones in, they'd start blowing! The LED ones have been in for ages now, Heat is FAR lower, light is better.

If I take into account the cost of continuously replacing halogens, they are very cost effective.

Be aware that LEDs often are not dimmable.

the halo will probably be only 12v,what voltage do the LEDs run at?

Na, the Halos are 240V. Got sick of overheating transformers.

The latest LED's are more comparable IMO.

No they aren't as nice of a light as Halogen yet However, running your whole house on them will make for considerable savings if you look at is as a yearly thing. Outside my house I have 5 low wattage energy savers which run for 8 hours a night lighting up the decks and yard. At 14cents per day for that 8 hour period it only uses about $50 bucks a year, if I use incandescent bulbs that price would be more than $370 per year, but be changing bulbs quite a fair bit.

Here's the side effect of running low energy bulbs and appliances, they obviously use less and as they become more available the general power demands on the grid decrease - so what do they do? Put the prices up! Same with cars, cars probably use half as much fuel as cars sold 20-30 years ago, consumption subsides, prices go up!

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Here's the side effect of running low energy bulbs and appliances, they obviously use less and as they become more available the general power demands on the grid decrease - so what do they do? Put the prices up! Same with cars, cars probably use half as much fuel as cars sold 20-30 years ago, consumption subsides, prices go up!

It's the free market bro. *Tui ad.