Sign in to follow this  
mrad01

Hooning around in a 125i M Sport

So, the M3 is in for some service work, so they let me loose in the "new" 125i M Sport. So, a few things about it..

Look:

Meh, the new 1 series is an improvement on some angles to the previous model, but overall, meh. I'm not sure about the front - butt ugly. The M sport kit does improve it overall.

Space:

Bigger than my wifes 1 series (previous 5 door) - still not big. It is a 1 series - not a 5. I'm not sure what people expect?

Chassis:

Nice handling. Predictable, but a little bit harsh. The suspension is quite firm. Steering feedback is pretty good, but I think it is a bit lightweight feeling. Mums won't like it, they might spill their lattes when hitting bumps.

Brakes:

Cracker! It stops. Well.

Engine:

2.0l twinscroll turbo. Nice and quick. Revs quickly and punches out the power smoothly. So, down low, it is a bit laggy (like most turbos), but once you get the scrolls spinning, it's away! Pulls all the way to 7500 pretty easily. I'm impressed. With me giving it sh*t everywhere, it still managed 8.5l/100 - and because of its pretty peaky top end, i'd much prefer this over the diesel. (For the record, I appreciate Diesels - but they bore me to tears. I don't really care about fuel economy that much, and I love the sound of engines revving! Low down torque is fun, but meh. So completely ignore me if you love Diesels)

These new petrol turbos give you *almost* diesel low down torque, ballpark fuel usage (diesel is better, but not the moonbeams of old), but a massively higher output top-end than the diesel could dream of.

I don't think the target market (chicks) really would care too much, but I think it would almost hold its own against the 130i. Seriously.

Gearbox:

8 Speed auto, with Sport mode and steering wheel paddles. Good box. Shifts well. So well, it is bloody boring. Would be HOT in a DCT or 6sp manual.

Overall:

I like it. Fast engine, *good* fuel economy, good chassis (bit harsh), excellent brakes, ergonomically good. Good. Good. Good. Not great.

For me, the ride lets it down a wee bit, but the engine stands out.

If you get a chance to drive one, do it with an open mind. Its not a 1M.

Edited by E90 M3

Thanks for that, the 125i is a stand out model to me and looks to be well priced. With a manual gearbox and a LSD it could be a performance bargain compared to a Golf GTI.

So, the M3 is in for some service work, so they let me loose in the "new" 125i M Sport. So, a few things about it..

Brakes:

Cracker! It stops. Well.

sounds good!.I agree with you about diesels(even though i own one).I would love to try a 123d,also with the twin scroll turbo,i think it pushes out the top end a bit.Also a diesel on the end of an 8 spd would be good to try.

I like my little 120d as an all round package,nice brakes and steering,in hindsight a 120i in manual may be more to my liking but when the manual diesel came up i jumped at it

Edited by kiwi535

UPDATE:: So, there is this little button called "Sport" on the console. Pushed it. Nothing really happened. Until I went up the constellation drive onramp using this "redline" feature. The gearshifts stopped being smooth and boring and started being sporty and FAST as all hell. I think you'd have to spend up large to get a Golf to smack this thing, but the golf rides better...

I'm even more impressed. I can foresee the end of those stupid DCT/DSG overcomplex auto, but really manual thingies. These new autos can change pretty damn quick, much faster than the SMG in the e60 M5 for sure. Evolution at its best. In the end, I like a 6 speed manual.

Turns out Jerry Clayton BMW need my M3 for another day. Works for me.

Oh, and here are some pics of it... Valencia Orange they call it.

post-2746-1346739301.jpg

post-2746-1346739324.jpg

post-2746-1346739335.jpg

sounds good!.I agree with you about diesels(even though i own one).I would love to try a 123d,also with the twin scroll turbo,i think it pushes out the top end a bit.

I wonder how the 125i would compare to the older 123d ? I've had a 123d for a day and it's the most fun I've had in a small car. One of those remapped would be an absolute weapon.

I wonder how the 125i would compare to the older 123d ? I've had a 123d for a day and it's the most fun I've had in a small car. One of those remapped would be an absolute weapon.

i meant the older one...the guy at JGBMW who put me onto mine told me that the 123d is a "rocketship".

We were just wondering that ourselves! Ive had a 123d for a loaner a while back and it *is* amazing, but i think this nextgen of turbopetrols basically minimises the advantages of diesel. Good for all of us - either choice has a load of power and good economy. The 0-100 times are virtually identical.

JCBMW said their sales of petrol 1 series is back up against the diesel after this new model introduction. More power in the petrol, faster revving, and the fuel economy is within spec. (4.9l/100 vs 5.8l/100) Even the tightest of us wouldn't blink at that too much.

In the 118d vs 118i camp - the 118i kicks the d in performance (1.2sec faster to 100) and close in fuel usage. (4.5 vs 5.6)

And you can "remap" these petrol turbos too...

Why am I trying to pitch this to a guy called "The Diesel Guy" - Am I mad? I think I need my head remapped???

;)

We were just wondering that ourselves! Ive had a 123d for a loaner a while back and it *is* amazing, but i think this nextgen of turbopetrols basically minimises the advantages of diesel. Good for all of us - either choice has a load of power and good economy. The 0-100 times are virtually identical.

JCBMW said their sales of petrol 1 series is back up against the diesel after this new model introduction. More power in the petrol, faster revving, and the fuel economy is within spec. (4.9l/100 vs 5.8l/100) Even the tightest of us wouldn't blink at that too much.

In the 118d vs 118i camp - the 118i kicks the d in performance (1.2sec faster to 100) and close in fuel usage. (4.5 vs 5.6)

And you can "remap" these petrol turbos too...

Why am I trying to pitch this to a guy called "The Diesel Guy" - Am I mad? I think I need my head remapped???

;)

its all good.Your thoughts echo my aquaintance at JGBMW he has said exactly the same thing.The underlying strength of the diesels tho is the torque.I must look at some mumbers.

its all good.Your thoughts echo my aquaintance at JGBMW he has said exactly the same thing.The underlying strength of the diesels tho is the torque.I must look at some mumbers.

Interesting reading! No wonder the petrol is making a comeback...

Engine:

118i: 1.6L turbopetrol

118d: 2.0L turbodiesel

Max. output in kW (hp) at 1/min

118i: 125 (170) / 4,800

118d: 105 (143) / 4,000

Max. torque in Nm at 1/min

118i: 250 / 1,500-4,500

118d: 320 / 1,750-2,500

0-100kmh

118i: 7.2sec

118d: 8.6sec

Love that wide ass torque band of the petrol!!

Until the next gen of diesels come about, the petrols seem to be doing it for the moment. IMO they will go tri-turbo on the diesels.

Gotta remember : yes the same 0-100 time (125i and 123d) but the 123d is a 2.0twin turbo 4 pot, the 125i is a 3.0 straight six twin turbo. Given that, how the f**k are they getting those consumption figures on a big turbo charged petrol???

Not quite Clinton, the 125i is the 2.0 ltr N20 motor with a higher level of tune, the 135i is the six pot 3.0 ltr N55 with twin turbo. But still, yes petrels have narrowed the gap thanks to the addition of the twin scroll turbos.

Until the next gen of diesels come about, the petrols seem to be doing it for the moment. IMO they will go tri-turbo on the diesels.

Gotta remember : yes the same 0-100 time (125i and 123d) but the 123d is a 2.0twin turbo 4 pot, the 125i is a 3.0 straight six twin turbo. Given that, how the f**k are they getting those consumption figures on a big turbo charged petrol???

Yes, the new X5 shows what a tri-turbo diesel can do. Although, the next M3 is supposed to be a tri-turbo petrol. It's all good in the future for both camps!

The 125i I have here is a 4cyl, 2.0L twinscroll turbo. (Yes, there is a 1 series coupe model called the M125i which is a 6, but it isn't coming to NZ I believe)

No there isn't an M125i! However there is the M135i and yes it does have the three litre twin turbo engine (N55B30TO) in it and it may or may not be on our shores in the near future :ph34r: . The "M" in this instance shows that it is an "M Peformance" model, as opposed to an M-Sport version (which is what the 125i comes as in NZ).

The whole model badging system is all over the place now, and there is a rhyme and reason to it, if you can work through it all. As a rule of thumb the last two numbers (which used to be the actual engine displacement in the good old days) is a guide to the power of the engine being EQUIVALENT to that engine size. So in the case of the 125i here it is a two litre engine producing power EQUIVALENT to a 2.5litre from its higher (or Ober in German which gives the "O" at the end of the engine number if you're a real statto) state of tune.

Confused?? Wait until all the new series, models, engines, body shapes, electric, hybrid, etc. arrive...

The fact it's not a 2.5 six (so much for the badge numbers meaning anything now) and that the front end design makes me want to look the other way means I'd I would have no interest in such a car despite it's strong points.

I'm sure this would be the case for many people out there in a buying position...

No there isn't an M125i! However there is the M135i and yes it does have the three litre twin turbo engine (N55B30TO) in it and it may or may not be on our shores in the near future :ph34r: . The "M" in this instance shows that it is an "M Peformance" model, as opposed to an M-Sport version (which is what the 125i comes as in NZ).

The whole model badging system is all over the place now, and there is a rhyme and reason to it, if you can work through it all. As a rule of thumb the last two numbers (which used to be the actual engine displacement in the good old days) is a guide to the power of the engine being EQUIVALENT to that engine size. So in the case of the 125i here it is a two litre engine producing power EQUIVALENT to a 2.5litre from its higher (or Ober in German which gives the "O" at the end of the engine number if you're a real statto) state of tune.

Confused?? Wait until all the new series, models, engines, body shapes, electric, hybrid, etc. arrive...

Confusing alright. Here are the specs for the US 125i and 135i coupes. You are right, it isn't called a M125, but there is a 125i with a 6 in it.

Go figure...

post-2746-1346801996.jpg

It's the same with Mercedes, why can't they just have the numerals coincide with the engine displacement?

I was reading up on the U.S specs, should have checked the BMW NZ site, but it was down lastnight.

......... and that the front end design makes me want to look the other way means I'd I would have no interest in such a car despite it's strong points.

and yet you own an e36? (just my opinion)

and yet you own an e36? (just my opinion)

Haha, Well I am rather fond of the E36s coupe shape only, but the front has to have the M-tech kit etc or else I find them particularly dull & dated. I do despise the E36 4 door however.

My main quibble with the new BMW front ends, particularly the F20 is the lack of a defined / protruding front bumper like all the olders BMWs have had.... but I believe the flat faced designs are due to pedestrian impact regulations...