Sign in to follow this  
sidewayswhat!

driveshaft

I'm doing my m50 swap into my e30 and have just gotten the engine and box in for a test run, and my current drive shaft is to long, I know I need a e36 325i driveshaft but I want to know length between the models or if there is another method as to which I can use mine.

I'm running a m50b25 vanos with a getrag240 gearbox and a medium case LSD diff

Really want this thing going already...

Edited by sidewayswhat!

getrag 240 dosent use the e36 shaft. just use the 240 shaft.

M20B20 G240 driveshalf, thats what i used in my twin cam conversion. no need to get custom made. same as shifter linkage if you havent got that sorted all ready

basic rule is, use what shaft the gearbox came with originally - is most occasions, unless you're trying to something weird.

basic rule is, use what shaft the gearbox came with originally - is most occasions, unless you're trying to something weird.

my gearbox was an M40G240 gearbox, the 316i driveshaft i tried was too long. i guess the wierd thing in my setup is i wanted the gearbox to sit in the right orientation. i used 100% BMW partsbin bits for it but ended up using 316i/318i gearbox, 320i shifter and linkages, and 325i clutch pressure plate etc ha. interesting that most BMW to BMW engine conversions can be done using a LOT of BMW partsbin bits though isnt it! its just like lego

edit: pretty sure the guibo flange end on the E36 is too big to mate to any E30 gearbox anyway. could be wrong though?

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

I'm doing my m50 swap into my e30 and have just gotten the engine and box in for a test run, and my current drive shaft is to long, I know I need a e36 325i driveshaft but I want to know length between the models or if there is another method as to which I can use mine.

I'm running a m50b25 vanos with a getrag240 gearbox and a medium case LSD diff

Really want this thing going already...

you need a driveshaft from a m20 g240 set up,which will most likely be a 320i.

the 6 cylinder boxs use shorter shafts due to engine sticking one cylinder further back and forward. if the car you get it from had a small case diff, loosen the big nut in the middle of the shaft and shorten it to suit