Sign in to follow this  
noeltj_22

M3 wheels with some alloy problem...

The white / yellowing of the alloy is caused by oxidization. The clear paint coat has become chipped and is exposing the alloy to air / water / salts. The clear coat needs to be removed and the alloy needs a small layer of metal to be removed and then polished and clear coated again.

Check out this

for the idea. Would need a clear coat or two added after to seal the alloy from happening again.

hey do you know anyone who does this in NEW ZEALAND?

As above , Arrow wheels would be my pick (they repaired a ACS type 1 rim of mine a while back , came back like new). Otherwise if you feel up to it have a go yourself.

Have been doing this on some early 70's alloy rims , it takes considerable time and effort to do refurb them and they are only 10 inch !

As above , Arrow wheels would be my pick (they repaired a ACS type 1 rim of mine a while back , came back like new). Otherwise if you feel up to it have a go yourself.

Have been doing this on some early 70's alloy rims , it takes considerable time and effort to do refurb them and they are only 10 inch !

it would cost me 200 dollar per tyre if i do it at arrow..looking for a better deal..

If its just the clear coat then take it to GT refinishers in penrose and they should be able to sort you out. They should be able to sand back the clear and spray another layer on.

I got my wheels painted with them for 400 a set so I'm guessing just clear would be at least half the price.

I think you might want to double check that as you will find that 19's where an option so genuine 18" style 67's do exist.

Agreed, the 18" were also offered as original with the M3's. The 19"were an option. But if you look at the

18" inch wheel below that is what the original looked like.

post-15678-1347227877.jpg

The 19" below is what was optional. Now this 19" looked like the picture below, and did not come in 18" option in this look.

post-15678-1347227889.jpg

Agreed, the 18" were also offered as original with the M3's. The 19"were an option. But if you look at the

18" inch wheel below that is what the original looked like.

post-15678-1347227877.jpg

The 19" below is what was optional. Now this 19" looked like the picture below, and did not come in 18" option in this look.

post-15678-1347227889.jpg

oh ok..well i am still confused of what has to be done with the tyres..will get something done..thanks all for ur support..

This generally caused by moisture getting under the clear coat and is pretty common on all Machine Finish Alloys after a while. To repair you immersion strip the clear coat off and polish the wheel and then re-clear. As mentioned before in this thread Arrow Wheels can do this work or altenatively Manukau Auto and Tyre Centre also carry this sort of work out in house.

try WRS in penrose just had 2 rims done by them painted and then cnc turned to give orriginal look then clear coated $160.00 each

there phone number 095253390 ask for john.

You want to get them dip stripped, then powder coated with clear. Unfortunately nice shiny aluminium is one of the worst things for powder coating to stick to!!

If you sand them back they will be a mission to polish again, dip stripping will take off the old coating without scratching the hell out of the rims.

The last set i had done cost about $140 to strip and $100 for powder coating. (For all 4)