Sign in to follow this  
noeltj_22

M3 wheels with some alloy problem...

So last week i was able to score myself 18 inch wheels and tyres for 360$ which i thought was a bargain price..

but after bringing it back home i noticed some glitches sort of areas on the alloys.. All the alloys had some yellow sort of stuff in it..

Heres a picture of the wheels..

Posted Image

Can some one help me out here :unsure:

Hard to see from that pic. Has it been wrapped in something? Have you tried using some sort of wheel degreaser/agent to clean them?

Hard to see from that pic. Has it been wrapped in something? Have you tried using some sort of wheel degreaser/agent to clean them?

i just got them yesterday.. will go and check it out...

its some sort of yellow thing showing up..

Heres another photo...

Posted Image

Edited by noeltj

I've got a set of rims stored in my shed that look exactly the same.

I had presumed it would be a relatively cheap fix (strip and reapply clear coat)

<_< I need to stop presuming

I went to a car panelbeater and paint guy to get them checked..

He said he could paint them up in silver get rid of the curbing for 280 dollars..

But i want the chrome.. who thinks repainting them silver will look good?

:unsure:

Edited by noeltj

Filiform corrosion. So yeah, whip the clearcoat off, refinish the wheel then re-seal.

Edited by nath

Yeah - if you're worried about cost, just do the majority of work yourself and take them to a pro for clear coating.

Ie sand all the existing clearcoat off, then buff & polish.

Then take them for a clear coat.

I made that sound easy, it would need some elbow grease!

Firstly. And importantly they are not genuine BMW wheels.

I had the same on a set of imitation wheels and managed to get them looking O.K with a bit of DIY.

Its very time consuming but if you have a weekend you could sand them back and re clear coat them yourself.

I had the same on a set of imitation wheels and managed to get them looking O.K with a bit of DIY.

Its very time consuming but if you have a weekend you could sand them back and re clear coat them yourself.

these are genuine wheels..

these are not genuine, because the originals in that style only come in 19" not 18" which you purchased mate.

+ one . They also would extend past rear guards if correct size and offset on a non M3 body.

Would look ok silver or gloss black if painted. Otherwise, bead blast and sand back and clear coat.

Have a search on here for reburbing wheels. Not hard but does take time.

Was just at Arrow. My impression is they would do a bloody good job. Personally, on those wheels I'd opt for slightly more expensive paint and go for the Bright Shine or one of the hyper silvers. If these aren't genuine they'd certainly look it after that!

Was just at Arrow. My impression is they would do a bloody good job. Personally, on those wheels I'd opt for slightly more expensive paint and go for the Bright Shine or one of the hyper silvers. If these aren't genuine they'd certainly look it after that!

Yea i had spoke to the person working there.. and he said you will be amazed when you get your ride back..

Well i think i should stick with arrow even though its a bit expensive..

the colour/scratch( whatever u call it) doesnt show up until you go check them close..

Posted Image

Yea i had spoke to the person working there.. and he said you will be amazed when you get your ride back..

Well i think i should stick with arrow even though its a bit expensive..

the colour/scratch( whatever u call it) doesnt show up until you go check them close..

Posted Image

Spend the extra... I think it's $255 a wheel for Hyper Silver. Light or dark would like good on your car.

It's true that those aren't genuine, but the clearcoat comes off of the genuine 18" M3 wheels just the same.

The white / yellowing of the alloy is caused by oxidization. The clear paint coat has become chipped and is exposing the alloy to air / water / salts. The clear coat needs to be removed and the alloy needs a small layer of metal to be removed and then polished and clear coated again.

Check out this

for the idea. Would need a clear coat or two added after to seal the alloy from happening again. Edited by Neal

Most importantly the reason this happened in the first place is because someone cleaned them with an acid based cleaner. While acid based cleaners give great short term results. if not washed off properly, and I do mean neutalised, this is what happens after a few weeks.

I stick with gold-class cleaner and water for this reason on clear coated wheels.

Same thing will happen to anodised finishes such as polished lips etc.

these are not genuine, because the originals in that style only come in 19" not 18" which you purchased mate.

I think you might want to double check that as you will find that 19's where an option so genuine 18" style 67's do exist.

Edited by Gaz