Sign in to follow this  
liyi_92

540i E39 normal idle rpm?

Hey there, I bought a 540i today after selling my 528i,

Car ran fine and drove from dunedin back to christchurch alright.

After parking in for a while around 3 hours, I went to start it back up. Engine cranks but wont fire up first go.

Second try cranks for a while and finally starts up.

After starting up idle drops quite low (on the first line above 0rpm).

Also another problem I have is the aircon blows extremely powerfully. Also when using aircon there is a very loud humming kind of sound coming from behind engine?

Any ideas guys? Thanks

Edited by andy_e39

Hey there, I bought a 540i today after selling my 528i,

Car ran fine and drove from dunedin back to christchurch alright.

After parking in for a while around 3 hours, I went to start it back up. Engine cranks but wont fire up first go.

Second try cranks for a while and finally starts up.

After starting up idle drops quite low (on the first line above 0rpm).

Also another problem I have is the aircon blows extremely powerfully. Also when using aircon there is a very loud humming kind of sound coming from behind engine?

Any ideas guys? Thanks

It might pay to get the car scanned, to see what fault codes come up.

As for the climate control, is it only working on the full speed setting?

Check the cabin filters, these are located in the engine bay back near the firewall, perhaps clogged up with leaves etc? worth checking, it could be the typical fan resistor fault, but usually that results in intermittent fan operation rather then it only working flat out.

How does the car compare to the 528i? I could be tempted to get a 540i at some stage.

Edited by Charles32

Thanks Charles, will have a look first thing in the morning.

You seem to have some experience in e39s?

As for climate controls it seems to be blowing at full speed but I think when I turn it up higher it could still blow stronger.

AS for compared to the 528i... I guess acceleration off the line isn't that different as these cars weigh a bit but as soon as it starts going its no comparison. Definately pulls a lot harder than the 528i on the freeway. ;)

It might pay to get the car scanned, to see what fault codes come up.

As for the climate control, is it only working on the full speed setting?

Check the cabin filters, these are located in the engine bay back near the firewall, perhaps clogged up with leaves etc? worth checking, it could be the typical fan resistor fault, but usually that results in intermittent fan operation rather then it only working flat out.

How does the car compare to the 528i? I could be tempted to get a 540i at some stage.

Seriously there is NO comparison between a 528 & a 540.....different beasts altogether.

530s are worth a look tho.

Seriously there is NO comparison between a 528 & a 540.....different beasts altogether.

530s are worth a look tho.

Haha exactly what he said. No comparison :)

Hi the e39 had final stage resistor problems these just wear out with time and need to be replaced,or the speed set for the fan speed is faulty. Still feel the best of the e39 family is the 530 in balance of power weight and the handling sure the 540 or M5 has the get up and go factor but comes at a price.The 520 on the other hand goes the other way and is under powered for the vehicle weight etc.

Manual 530i Touring would be awesome. I'd buy one of them for the Mrs if I could find a decent one (or one at all!)