Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

Are these NZ law compliant?

I went thru this with my early E39.

Basically you cannot fit aftermarket HID unless you change the reflectors, so basically the complete headlight units.

Land Transport rules say you need washers too, although you may already have those

I improved my lights by dismantling them, cleaning the lens and polishing the polycarbante cover.

You may be able to buy new covers rather than polish.

I tried those 120% bulbs etc, little difference really.

I now have a facelfit E39 with factory projectors, and that really is the answer.

From the LTNZ website:

"High intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits

HID conversion kits (an HID bulb with a high voltage power unit or ‘ballast’ which fits into the original headlamp unit in place of the original bulb with no change to the headlamp lens, reflector or housing) are illegal on any vehicle being used on New Zealand roads.

However, a complete halogen headlamp unit can be replaced with a complete HID headlamp unit provided that the replacement headlamp unit complies with approved standards. If in doubt, get advice from a vehicle lighting retailer you trust."

Buy a stock HID setup from a broken E39.

At least you have that option, can't do anything like that for older cars.

Buy a stock HID setup from a broken E39.

At least you have that option, can't do anything like that for older cars.

They come up on Ebay reasonably often - Brand new genuine BMW retrofit kit, including rear suspension based self levelling, brand new facelift angel eye lights, all bulbs included. They're the orange indicator version (Which I actually prefer anyway, on the right colour cars) but they still look smarter than the pre-facelift lights. The orange was standard on Euro and NZ non-sprt cars.

I think mine ended up being under NZ$1K... just!

The light output is FAR superior to the E39 halogens (which suck arse!). I haven't fitted the self elvelling, and probably won't to be honest. The car doesn't sag much with a load in it, and it's still adjustable with the dash mounted wheel.

I don't know about anyone else but I find the low beams on my E39 really suck. And no, I'm not suffering from broken adjusters, yet...

^^^^ What condition are the lenses in? Our car has perfectly clear lenses & the halogen lights are quite ok (dip & full). Admittedly HID are better.

I did, when I first bought the car into NZ, remove/dismamtle the lamps & clean the film off the insides of the lenses of the usual Jap smog - this when the car was just 4.5 ysrs, 24km old too.

Also I see a lot of E39's now with varying states of UV crazing of the lenses - some severe. This greatly reduces light output.

Have you tried searching for info into this on here as I went through this with my 530i a few years back and put up a thread on what I did. In the end purchased a pair of broken Xenon headlights from a 540 and swapped the whole interior assemble into my headlight housings. These were the face lift type so a bit of a pain in the rear to open up along with replacing the adjuster which was told by the dealers could not be purchased also replaced the angel eye bulbs with brighter led type. As been mentioned the lenses on these lights yellow up with age but can be cleaned with care and the brightness restored until is occurs again.

^^^^ What condition are the lenses in? Our car has perfectly clear lenses & the halogen lights are quite ok (dip & full). Admittedly HID are better.

I did, when I first bought the car into NZ, remove/dismamtle the lamps & clean the film off the insides of the lenses of the usual Jap smog - this when the car was just 4.5 ysrs, 24km old too.

Also I see a lot of E39's now with varying states of UV crazing of the lenses - some severe. This greatly reduces light output.

They are clear and I have xenon low beams, they are just not quite as bright as I thought they would be...