Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Knock Knock.... It's the repo man

I regularly get 2degrees bills overdue, because they are knobs... Lost my Card, got new card... put in details for new card... automatic payments FAIL.

Go onto website, click pay with saved card... BAM works fine.

Are you trying to tell me that you've honestly never had a bill of any sort overdue 4 weeks?

yeah, i honestly can.

yeah, i honestly can.

same here

I've never had an overdue library book or video hire either

get a bill load it for the date its due, done. a good credit rating is easy to loose and takes 4 years to get back.

The only time thats not true is when my company both buys and sells from a small handful of other companies so obviously i dont pay them if they have outstanding payments to me, but that doesnt happen in private life.

just want to put it out there to those who say "Set up a AP" or what not,

im not saying this is the case for the original poster, but some people dont have money sitting in the bank or have regular income, so they may have to move around some money from this bank to that bank or deposit it on certain days before a payment for something is due.. and its very possible for a person to be a day or even a week late in a payment (which doesnt seem to be a big deal for monthly or maybe even fortnightly accounts) thus having an AP set up would mean it wont go through anyway. im just saying it may be easier for some to make payments manually if ones finances were not so straightforward..

in saying all that, if your finances were all messed up like said example, you probably wouldnt be able to get a loan for a car or should be getting a loan in the first place.. haha

just want to put it out there to those who say "Set up a AP" or what not,

im not saying this is the case for the original poster, but some people dont have money sitting in the bank or have regular income, so they may have to move around some money from this bank to that bank or deposit it on certain days before a payment for something is due.. and its very possible for a person to be a day or even a week late in a payment (which doesnt seem to be a big deal for monthly or maybe even fortnightly accounts) thus having an AP set up would mean it wont go through anyway. im just saying it may be easier for some to make payments manually if ones finances were not so straightforward..

in saying all that, if your finances were all messed up like said example, you probably wouldnt be able to get a loan for a car or should be getting a loan in the first place.. haha

Ive been holding back but i want to say something releting to most people with stuff on tick....

If im honest, my opnion on that is that they shouldnt have a car on tick in the first place. My E30 does everything an E90 does for a fraction of the price. You can either afford a flash car or you cant. If your living that close to 0, you should be downgrading your vehicle.

Putting a car of all "assets" on tick is stupid unless its a vehicle you use to make money that outweighs the interest and depreciation ie a work van. But as for a passenger car, the depreciation is bad enough, let alone to have to pay interest too. I was talking to a friend of mine that has an 01 or so Outback on tick, has around $10k still to pay, but you can buy one outright for $5k. Just because i can afford to service the payments on a brand new 1 series or similar doesnt mean I own one. A loan to buy anything that isn't going to increase your income earning capacity is totally illogical from a financial point of view, and isn't really an asset. A loan to buy a business home or education = smart, a loan to buy a stereo or car = stupid. I could go into certain classes of people having sky tv and v8 falcons in state owned houses, but i wont go there..

Regular outgoings but irregular incomes has shut down many businesses and bankrupted many people. Not to mention what happens to you if you loose your job.

This is not directed at you by the way Clinton, I understand yours is a work vehicle. Its at the vast majority of people though

yeah, i honestly can.

same here

I've never had an overdue library book or video hire either

I guess I'm a degenerate, I just wish I was as perfect hahaha! I don't believe that you both have never been late on anything, it's just not possible in life, I'm sorry but I just don't believe it for forums sake. Two young kids, running a business with staff, three premises with three sets of insurances, utilities sees me getting the odd reminder to pay and it's sorted straight away. In this very case I was given nothing which this was posted & is why I've just finished putting over the required amount to retire this loan. This is not a question of my bank account & this isn't a financial issue, it's simply me forgetting, I've just finished paying for a new Ranger at any rate... Because of this, I've said FU to MTF and have paid the full amount & retired the loan.

If I sent a debt collector around to every business that owes me money after only 4 weeks it would see me out of business, the 20th of the month in business seems to be a myth even though my suppliers on a business level are paid within a few days of this yet I'm still owed $$$ by debtors sometimes months afterwards.

This is not directed at you by the way Clinton, I understand yours is a work vehicle. Its at the vast majority of people though

I'm afraid I disagree on that, IMO if you have 10k in the bank, and you finance a vehicle for 5k IMO (with a good interest rate) this is a good position. Firstly you aren't cutting off your balls by halving your bank account, secondly if something major pops up i.e your fridge blows up, your house burns down you still have you 10 slides in the bank, think of it as an overdraft. I wouldn't recommend financing if you have nothing in the bank, the bus or a pair of Nike's is best for that!

A loan to buy a business home or education = smart, a loan to buy a stereo or car = stupid.

Finance wise personally I have a mortgage, the business owed a small amount on my 3 series until today. I've never seen any merit in ticking up TV's e.t.c - I bought a 6k retail TV about 18 months ago, however these bigger items I purchase go on the gold card, I have 3 months to pay on these items before interest starts incurring... now you can buy a similar spec'd model for about 2500. Food for thought!

Edited by The Diesel Guy

I'm afraid I disagree on that, IMO if you have 10k in the bank, and you finance a vehicle for 5k IMO (with a good interest rate) this is a good position. Firstly you aren't cutting off your balls by halving your bank account, secondly if something major pops up i.e your fridge blows up, your house burns down you still have you 10 slides in the bank, think of it as an overdraft. I wouldn't recommend financing if you have nothing in the bank, the bus or a pair of Nike's is best for that!

I can see your logic here. interest rate you are paying less the interest your receiving is the actual cost. But isnt it better to be paying the 20% interest on a fridge that goes on your visa for a few months that is highly likely not to eventuate while you sort out paying that off, than be locked into the interest on the car no matter what happens in the future? You can get Gem Visa Cards now that have 6 months interest free on big ticket items. Its an interesting argument which ever way you look at it.

By "finance" do you mean you went to another lending agent besides your bank? Why?

Excuse my naivety but I thought loansharks made you pay more interest than your average banks lending rate?

I can see your logic here. interest rate you are paying less the interest your receiving is the actual cost. But isnt it better to be paying the 20% interest on a fridge that goes on your visa for a few months that is highly likely not to eventuate while you sort out paying that off, than be locked into the interest on the car no matter what happens in the future? You can get Gem Visa Cards now that have 6 months interest free on big ticket items. Its an interesting argument which ever way you look at it.

IMO you'd be better off paying up front for the car and building on existing savings afterwards. Then you could both own the car outright (avoid the repo man), and not pay interest on any loaned money (which in itself adds to the cost of the car overall, previously mentioned, but yeah) :mellow:

By "finance" do you mean you went to another lending agent besides your bank? Why?

Excuse my naivety but I thought loansharks made you pay more interest than your average banks lending rate?

Not sure in Clintons case, but all the big banks offer loans for cars, i would assume caryards are agents for private lenders too but after close on 20 cars I've never brought a car from a yard so i couldnt tell you

IMO you'd be better off paying up front for the car and building on existing savings afterwards. Then you could both own the car outright (avoid the repo man), and not pay interest on any loaned money (which in itself adds to the cost of the car overall, previously mentioned, but yeah) :mellow:

i agree for a private use vehicle, there is no tax incentives for financing it so why would you

Last major cars I had on finance were 10.9 and 11.5 with both UDC and Marac Finance. The bank offered the same or slightly slightly less finance rates but required full up to date financials, which requires about 500 bucks worth of accountants fees.

Interesting read about everyones thoughts on finance/Repo's!

I AP all my house hold bills, (Mortgage, Power, Phone, Sky, Rates etc) but I have a few things on tick on interest free terms and pay what i can afford this week/month as opposed to the minimum payments and like Clinton i transfer money around the time it's due, sometimes i miss a payment but because i should already be in credit i don't stress about it, this is also the same with my Credit cards etc as well.

I do applaud you guys for never missing a bill though... I remember missing an old flat bill under my name for $8 to Sky that stuffed my credit up Grrr