Sign in to follow this  
nz320i

CAM BELT

Car has 184kms and is auto

i should have done the cam belt?? and have been quoted $180

thanks

Oh and where exactly in CHCH is GAC motor sport ?

Edited by nz320i

thanks

Have it done. Price is within (my) acceptable range.

thanks

$180 for a cam belt change isn't too bad, I remember BMW quoting me $500 for a cam belt and power steering belt :wacko:

If you don't know when it was last done then it'd pay to get it done, the cost of dropping a cam belt is horrendous

Depends when it was last done, should be done every 100K. It should be written somewhere in the engine bay (on the strut tower is a common place) saying when it was last done.

thanks

$180 for a cam belt change isn't too bad, I remember BMW quoting me $500 for a cam belt and power steering belt :wacko:

If you don't know when it was last done then it'd pay to get it done, the cost of dropping a cam belt is horrendous

BMWorkshop rang me after i took it in with a 'rough running' problem.

They said "buy a Lotto ticket"

They reckon when they opened it up, the whole cam belt/pulley sytem just fell apart. One more start and i was history.

Only cost $under200

Edited by m325i

Guest Andrew

when BMWorkshop talked to me they said it should be changed every 35,000km's

40 - 60 k

GAC is on Opawa Road (12A I think). When your heading from the town side its on the right hand side just before the lights across the road from Opawa Motors.

I was there on Friday for the first time and the guy seemed really onto it, never had any work done there though

Haing never had a BMW cambelt done before that seems really cheap

GAC is on Opawa Road (12A I think). When your heading from the town side its on the right hand side just before the lights across the road from Opawa Motors.

I was there on Friday for the first time and the guy seemed really onto it, never had any work done there though

Haing never had a BMW cambelt done before that seems really cheap

awesome thanks a lot,

i have been tryingt o get in there for a long time now i really want to chat to them about manual and new engine!

Cheers! :lol:

Cam belts, before 100k, mine lasted 107k but was on the way out :)

Don't waste your time doing it before 60k, they can last alot longer than that.

my 316i M40 had its 3rd cambelt at 150k. costed bout 380 at a BMW service centre

my bad then, why do M20's need it changed earlier than *most* other engines?

do YOU want to deal with pistons making sex to the valves?

I realise that but 100k is pretty much the standard time for a cambelt change. Just wondering why andy reckoned it was so much shorter for M20's.

40-60 ... does that mean i should change mine some time later this year ? i'd probably be past 50K by x-mas

If you reset the tensioner regularly on the M20 motor, say at 20K intervals, you should get 100k on a belt. I have never risked it and done it at 60k intervals on my motors but have had clients short on cash who have stretched it to 100k by keeping the tension good and checking the teeth when tensioning. (BMW recommended 60k service intervals with the first versions of the M20).

The belts do stretch quite a bit on the M20 motor, think it is due to the long run it has on the one side? (my theory... ;) )

I think also that the latest belts are of a better quality than the older belts used when the M20 first came out, so should do 100k if you keep an eye on them.

The belts do stretch quite a bit on the M20 motor, think it is due to the long run it has on the one side? (my theory... ;) )

I can confirm this, when comparing the old belt to the new replacement belt there was a good cm's difference, had to count the teeth on both just to make sure the replacement was right.

40-60 ... does that mean i should change mine some time later this year ? i'd probably be past 50K by x-mas

what belt? :D