Sign in to follow this  
liyi_92

Please help

My car was idling rough and would take a long time to start/crank especially when it was warm.

Took it to Kevin Burt Ltd. They did a diagnostic check ($130) and found no faults. They then started having a look around an found oil leaking from the rocker cover gasket in which the oil started to build up in the spark plug recesses. Told me that should be the problem.

They changed the rocker cover gaskets, seals and spark plugs ($923 total in which $480 is labour cost).

Got it back, still rough idles and takes ages to start up. Feels no different from before except knowing the fact that I have new seals and spark plugs

What else could cause this? Anyone have the same problems?

I checked my air filter seems clean.

Leaks from elsewhere? =(

Edited by andy_e39

Possibly MAF sensor... they sometimes don't throw a fault code. You need to drive it and check live data. Should read around 600kg at WOT under load

Possibly MAF sensor... they sometimes don't throw a fault code. You need to drive it and check live data. Should read around 600kg at WOT under load

My 1.9L 318iS had a STUFFED maf, and did not throw any codes.

Update: let it idle for a while this morning with the hood up. saw some burnt oil smoke coming somewhere below/near cylinder 4.

Also just after start up there is a very stong exhaust smell

Update: let it idle for a while this morning with the hood up. saw some burnt oil smoke coming somewhere below/near cylinder 4.

Also just after start up there is a very stong exhaust smell

That could be residue from the work previously done, or else it's still leaking from the rocker cover

Would a faulty MAF cause long crank time only when warm?

I am also wondering about cam sensor but again, long crank only occurs when engine is warm

No CEL.

If it's not throwing fault codes

Rough idle: I would check coils- shorting to earth sometimes doesn't throw a fault code

Smooth running test in live data should identify the problem cylinder

Hard starting hot: Check for air leaks. Check fuel pressure at pump and after fuel filter. Check MAF live data

Has the PVC valve been replaced on this car ? If not, test or get it tested

Edited by *Glenn*

I am also wondering about cam sensor but again, long crank only occurs when engine is warm

No CEL.

A cam sensor could cause that, however it would also throw a fault code. Just because the CEL light doesn't come on doesn't mean there is no fault code stored.

My car was idling rough and would take a long time to start/crank especially when it was warm.

Took it to Kevin Burt Ltd. They did a diagnostic check ($130) and found no faults. They then started having a look around an found oil leaking from the rocker cover gasket in which the oil started to build up in the spark plug recesses. Told me that should be the problem.

They changed the rocker cover gaskets, seals and spark plugs ($923 total in which $480 is labour cost).

Got it back, still rough idles and takes ages to start up. Feels no different from before except knowing the fact that I have new seals and spark plugs

What else could cause this? Anyone have the same problems?

I checked my air filter seems clean.

Leaks from elsewhere? =(

Is there any reason why you haven't taken it back to the Mechanic saying that they have not fixed the fault.

A qualified/experienced mechanic should be able to diagnose and fix, not take a grand off you and then replace some random parts. They should also test the car before handing it back to you.

BTW i recently bought a rocker cover gasket set for my E39 and it was $80 from the dealer.

^ his is a V8, It's like doing two M42's strapped together and twice as annoying due to space.