Sign in to follow this  
Garryg

E39 525i Msport - What would you do?

Before I go any further, I don't have the option of changing the car...(not for another 12 Months).

Anyway, I get itchy feet at least twice a year and usually just change cars. This time I can't. So to keep me happy I want to make some mods to the car.....in a $4-5k budget.

So what would you do? Ideally I'd like a quicker responce to the throttle and a bit more HP.

My thoughs are (but not knowing the cost)...

1. Supercharger / turbo?

2. Exhaust?

3. V8 Transplant?

Wouldn't be able to do any of them myself unfortunately, so need to factor this in the cost.

super charger kits are about $4000-5000usd would be the only upgrade that will give you any real decent power upgrades.

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vf-enginee...530i-p2627.aspx

manual conversion with a light flywheel might be a good option.

some headers and a remap

otherwise swap the engine block for a m54b30 3L 530i 330i engine etc

v8 transplant requires complete front end , steering , suspension , front crossmember ,engine ,gearbox , diff , axles etc etc

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1878-spr...r-2001-bmw.aspx

I looked into this for my 530 but decided for the money I could do better.

If I had that money and could do a manual conversion for the $$ I would.. But the 525 I drove definitely wasn't the fastest car out there so I don't know I it would be worth it on a 525z your decision I Spose

I can't imagine any immense gains from an exhaust... I'd go see gavin@hi velocity if I were you

If your factoring labour then a trade for a 530 / 540 would probably work out cheaper for performance options.

Having done a turbo build It gets very expensive quite quickly. The 2.5 is a relatively high compression engine to start with which will limit boost without spending a fortune.

I'd enjoy the car for what it is and perhaps do the bushes / shocks to make the car feel fresh again. The e39 Motorsport is a nice drive regardless of engine power.

I have commited a sin this afternoon....BMW gone and replaced with a 350GT Skyline..

I apologise sincerely to all Bimmersporters!!

Will keep my eye in anyway as no doubt I will end up with another one sometime...just a bit bigger.

Cheers