Sign in to follow this  
Palazzo

Strut Brace

Anyone have any brilliant ideas on where to get a decent and decently priced strut brace for an E30? I've just bought a set of 325iM springs and Bilsteins off TradeMe for my 325 convertible, to match the body kit etc, think it will need the extra stiffening. Also, anyone had any decent extractors made? I want some of them for the convertible and our 325iM. Cheers.

extractors.....best bet is custom....bimmersport recently got sponsored by them...looking at round 650-800ish for em....never seen their headers but i like their other work a lot and they know what they are on about

as for strut braces...you can get generic JDM sort of ones for $140 from a place on 109 Cook St in Auckland, need a little modifying to fit. they not the best, but i carbon fibred mine and am happy with it....does make a big difference. only other option would be to go overseas (www.bmw2002.com, but ends up being c.$500) or getting one custom made up.

pics of cars!

Have also heard good reports about the crowd Gus is talking about for headers...

You buy that Zinnoberrot red conv with the MTech kit recently for sale on trademe?

Put some pics up of both...

Welcome to the site Palazzo, please share a tale or two

What mods have you done to your car already to warrant headers and a strut brace?

Thanks for the responses. I've seen some ideas for extractors at Als, so may try that. Braces are a bit harder, anywhere from 75 pounds up plus shipping. And yes, it is the Zinnoberrot red convertible that was on TradeMe. Had two broken (rear) shock mounts, which explained the evil handling on way to Taupo, one had been stuffed with washers and glue to hold it together! Car is tidyish and goes well so far. Reason for the extractors is I checked on various websites to find the most cost effective power increase, one ( www.fritzsbits.co.uk ) recommended the extractors, but the cost of their system was 405 pounds plus shipping, just extractors that is. Have a 2.7 engine sitting around too, if I can be bothered sometime. Strut braces are needed I think, as I have the motorsport springs and bilsteins to go into the convertible and I suspect it would benefit from some extra strengthening/stiffening. 325iM was sitting in a garage for 2 years, had rebuilt motor, new shocks/discs/pads/heavy duty clutch/radiator/susp bushes, originally imported for Bob McMillans (Team) wife. Now driven by my partner every day, as I convinced her it would make a great commuter (until I can Targa it). any advice or ideas welcome, I'll try and get some pics up.

I can understand the need for extractors, assuming it's all already been opened up with a K&N and any exhaust restrictors removed, but the strut brace is only really useful if you're hard cornering...are you hard cornering? in the vert???

BTW, I mean hard cornering in that you're getting some mad body flex...ie, look at my sig pic below. Koni shocks (front hard, rear soft) with jamex super lows and going into castrol at manfeild my car has some wheels tucking right up into the guards!!!

E: Unless of course you're just after the aesthetics of a strut brace :D

Edited by ///Carl

you dont need to be doing particularly hard cornering to enjoy the benefits of a strut brace carl. they help all the time

Tried to buy K&N at repco, looked at me like I'd lost the plot so temporarily gave up. Convertible already has scuttle shake, despite railway beam size strengthening down sills. I'm figuring the M springs and shocks will make it worse, so anything that will tighten it up has to be worth a go. Even as a day to day (well, weekends anyway) drive, I'm sure there will be benefits. Love your sig pick and look forward to emulating it at some stage in the coupe. Incidentally, does anyone else have massive traction problems in the wet?

Andrew has traction problems in the dry! 20 second 1/4 mile Henna beast.

I'll try to drive passed the K&N place in Onehunga and get the name tomorrow.

Get a strut brace made that is a solid unit. Don't get one with bolts at either end of the the strut (as it attaches to the Strut tower mounts), you don't get as much benefit.

This Racing Dynamics one like Tim's is good, but not great.

post-2-1123049319.jpg

Edited by cainchapman

I have a K&N panel filter to fit yours if you are interested...

No traction problems in the wet with mine but have replaced standard wheels with 17's. I also don't notice much scuttle shake, just is stiff and hardish ride, but that is due to the wheels and lowering on low King springs. Have redone the rear end crossmember to remove the negative camber from the lowering so that probably makes a difference too.

Mine looked like this not long after I got it, still standard but with MTech kit fixed back on and a big tidy up... was previously owned by a lady who obviously parked by ear so kit was hanging off all over.... :lol:

Sparco does one for 119US for the e36 - maybe they did one for e30 too?

I know that for E36's a strut brace is a waste of time. If anything, Xbrace would be good, cheaper too.

looks like this now... ride is suprisingly smooth for what has been done.

That is one MINT ride...man I could really go pimp with that car!!!

post-2-1123053785.jpg

Danm that vert is hot

As for strut brace, supposedly nice improvement if you have a vert but if you have a roof they don't make as a big a difference

Your convertible looks fantastic! What are the wheels/size and where from? I talked to Mag/Turbo and they said "Urrr, too old mate, nobody makes wheels for that" The BBS wheels look Ok for now, but as noted elswhere on this site are a pain to clean. Hopefully, I'll get the Msport springs on soon. I measured it against our 325iM and it should drop it 2cm at the front and 3 at the back. The convertible's pretty well grounded in the rain, but the other is hopeless. It's sideways in the rain everywhere, even on the motorway in rush hour traffic in a straight line! I'm wondering if the tyres have gone "off" from sitting around for a couple of years, even though they are basically new, tread depth wise.

Tyres do go off. Shoot down to Marshall Tyres in Newmarket and see Leon Marshall. He'll sort you out.

Have redone the rear end crossmember to remove the negative camber from the lowering so that probably makes a difference too.

Searched this up.. Couldn't find any details on it. How abouts exactly do you 're-do' the rear end crossmember to fix up the camber?

redrill the trailing arm mounting points after adding more steel...welding is cool

will the expert!

Searched this up.. Couldn't find any details on it. How abouts exactly do you 're-do' the rear end crossmember to fix up the camber?

Dont have any pics of the one I did but am busy with another so will show pics of this tonite.. this one is a fixed mod which means it is for a specific camber adjustment. It is a simple job but needs a lot of care measuring to get the angles right and keep it tracking true. I can also do an adjustable one but it is a lot more work. Will try to describe how to do it when I have more time as off to work now to support my BMW habit.... :o

What are the wheels/size and where from? I talked to Mag/Turbo and they said "Urrr, too old mate, nobody makes wheels for that"

Got them from a bloke in Auckland second hand. Have no idea where he got them from or what make they are. They were originally painted silver but he had them polished. i havn't seen another set like them around. Tyres are 205/40/17.

Had been trying to get my hands on a set of 17" Alpinas but wasn't having much luck at the time as the american dealer was out of stock. They look really cool too... I was trying to buy the wheels off this ragtop in USA but that also went belly-up.