Sign in to follow this  
Palazzo

Strut Brace

Sooo need pics :lol: 

Welding is fun.

Searched this up.. Couldn't find any details on it. How abouts exactly do you 're-do' the rear end crossmember to fix up the camber?

right, basics for doing the job. I have just started to adjust this crossmember.. check out photo below. probably several different ways of doing this job but this is the way I do it for a fixed(non-adjustable) camber adjustment.

red arrow... leave this hole as-is. do not drill or cut.

green arrow... slot this hole downwards

yellow/orange arrows... slot these holes upwards

It is important to know how much camber you need/want to get rid of. I have adjusted my ragtop back to factory spec of approx -1deg negative. This meant I had to lift the hole of the orange arrow (closest to diff) by 21mm. You will need to calculate this from measuring your existing camber and working out from the positions of the mounts the amount of slotting needed at each point.

Also very important to slot the holes vertically so you will need a jig to hold the crossmember vertical as if it was mounted in the car. this will tend to keep the tracking true but you need to check this before welding the whole thing up. This jig needs to also be able to mount the crossmember at the height it would be if it was on the car. (This allows you to set the suspension arms at the ride height they will be at with wheels on).

I use two spare suspension arms that have been stripped of all brakes, bearings etc to keep the alignment of the 4 holes true. Makes life easier as they are much lighter to work with. Also have plates on that allow me to check the camber angle and the tracking of the whole assembly.

I make 6 plates out of flatbar with the same dia hole as standard and use a slightly thicker gauge than is standard on the crossmember. I then assemble both arms onto the crossmember putting plates on each slotted hole position and set the innermost slotted holes (orange arrow) to the calculated height by clamping the plate to the remaining bit of the mounting (leave the green and yellow plates loose at this time). Make sure the swingarms are set to the correct ride height at the wheel side then carefully check camber angle and track. If all ok then tack the orange plates to the crossmember.

Now you can set the green and yellow plates up and mark their outline onto the existing mounting points so that you can cut the existing bit out and fit the plate in to the gap and weld it into place. By doing this you can retain the standard bolts, otherwise, if you just weld the plates directly onto the existing mounting points, you will need longer bolts. (reading this back to myself now, it sounds complicated so I think I might need to make some plates up and take some more pics to show exactly what i am trying to say... but this will take time so bear with me if you can't picture what I am trying to do...).

Once these green and yellow plates have been welded in, you can then grind free the orange plate and do the same with it, mark it out on the existing mount, cut the mount and weld the plate into the gap.

This should finish the job... just a bit of grinding to pretty it up and a coat of paint.

As for the adjustable mounts, that is a whole different ball-game. Not for the inexperienced as it needs some bits machined etc... but is not really very difficult at all if you have access to a lathe.

Strut braces (and just about anything else you could possibly want for an E30) are available from Ireland Engineering in the States, prices are reasonable, service OK. Check them out at www.bmw2002.com

define reas priced

their front strut braces (i like em a lot, dont get me wrong) $500ish delivered to NZ.

Found some others in the States, about $350NZ delivered, will put up the address when I find it again. Have had Msport springs and bilsteins fitted to vert, I reckon it's dropped about 40mm, can't get my hand between the rear wheels and guard. Looks great.

sounds a bit lower than 40mm.....but thats best! beers to perfect wheel arches

its shipping thats the killer...such an awkward item to ship, esp since its one piece.

if someone could hook up cheap shipping that would be badass