Sign in to follow this  
328FTW

My first day of E30 ownership

So here is what we'll call the baseline. I found humour in pulling it to bits today, needs work, lots of it but I recently acquired a new toy. A big ass miller tig welder, while I was picking that up I dropped off some big oxy bottles to be tested n filled, picked up the welder then went to get the car to haul back up the country. I've basically either gotta get the engine out onto the stand or find another one, it's blowing water into the cylinders and exhaust gases into the water etc. Not a good look however dat straight 6 rumble.

From what I know it's got the front lip, the later "smiley" lights and was owned by BMW shop mechanics for a good portion of its life. It's the other portion of it that has done the damage.

Posted Image

Gave it shot with degreaser all over, let it soak then blasted with the waterblaster with some suds in it. Came up much better. My phone is sub par at showing

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Full of crap

Posted Image

Posted Image

To list what I found

Car cover

Snap lock bags (handy for pulling the motor apart)

shell 15w-40

rust converter and primer

sandwich press

upholstry cleaner

box full of satay chicken noodle sachets

bleach

3 bottles of ajax

jiff that had exploded all over the boot

3 cans of tuna

a new FM shower radio

full shaving gel

a pack of shaving razors

various spanners which oddly enough completed my set in the shop

glovebox handle

some shoes, several ties, some shorts and some dirty underwear

new roll of rubbish bags which was handy

some new buckets

The world according to clarkson volume 2 and "the art of war"

some brand new work gloves (thank you, will take that)

pack of zipties which I threw in the racecar

a billion drink bottles

several bank statements

a birthday bag with long dead flowers in it

a few bags of popcorn which I microwaved and ate

some flysprays

several drinking cups

couple unopened heineken (drank)

brand new tube puncture repair kit

a shaker with oregano in it

Some rope

some rolls of electrical tape

couple cresents for my toolbox

genuine zippo lighter that works

new bottle of seal up, optimistic at best especially when it's still in the bottle

And to finish up it's former broken life and give it one last run before pulling it to bits. If it can't crack a skid it needs to either GTFO the shop or be made capable of doing one.

The idea now is to make it better and not break it from here on in. There is a small part of me that wants to just do it in BMW colours with the Red and Blue stripe deal taking up the entire rear 1/3 of the car. Could use some paint there anyway but the grown up thing to do would be to just leave it boring er I mean white.

So that was my first day of owning a beamer, I think this makes 10 cars I own right now. Should just stop but I can't.

Edited by 328FTW

That's one of the most interesting posts I've read for ages!

You didn't mention the plastic coat hanger. Are you sure you didn't just purchase a crime scene?

Welcome to the joys of e30 ownership. You will probably need everything you found in it over your journey. And a LOT more beer.

Edit: I also see it's got one of the nicer E30 steering wheels. Good score, as the standard one is a bit shite.

Edited by huff3r

f**k some people are hobos.

Good job on the rescue mate, hope you enjoy that little gem you have there.

PS .. nice shed

I've found some odd things in cars over the years too.

The thing I love about E30's is that they are a never ending project, there's always something else you want to do.

Good to see a familiar name on here,welcome. Looks like a good deal you got there

That's one of the most interesting posts I've read for ages!

You didn't mention the plastic coat hanger. Are you sure you didn't just purchase a crime scene?

I was afraid of the anti abortionists beating my door down.

Welcome to the joys of e30 ownership. You will probably need everything you found in it over your journey. And a LOT more beer.

Edit: I also see it's got one of the nicer E30 steering wheels. Good score, as the standard one is a bit shite.

Didn't know there was a nicer wheel, I'll have to go look for a shitty one now to see how much more superior I can feel.

f**k some people are hobos.

Good job on the rescue mate, hope you enjoy that little gem you have there.

PS .. nice shed

He's my mate but he is a messy c**t, I think he cultivates mold on old chicken wings as a pastime.

I've found some odd things in cars over the years too.

The thing I love about E30's is that they are a never ending project, there's always something else you want to do.

Nothing new, all of my cars are never ending projects, mostly cause I try to take on crazy sh*t.

It's an SE bro! Looks good

Yeah he said something about that and it had a few extra dodads on it, just too bad it's autotragic. Kills the whole "driver's car" thing

Good to see a familiar name on here,welcome. Looks like a good deal you got there

Where do you hail from? If you're from the MR2 world lots of people know me and my old beater dirt track car although I don't go to the NZ site anymore after a shitfight via PM with one of the mods who was a cocky c**t. The honda guys I kinda go on there and stir sh*t, don't actually really post anything useful ever. Kiwibiker I haven't been around that long however they're an awesome bunch, and justcommodores I don't own a commodore anymore. Can't remember where else but toyspeed but I haven't been there for a while, they need to bring the forums into this century IMO.

Actually for those that don't know me this is the perfect time to whore it up. If anyone did the 2011 cannonball run we were this car. I want to do it again in my V6 mr2

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have a couple never ending projects, the prelude is really close now but I need to do the headgasket and waterpump for a bad leak however I'm at the end of my rope for pulling the head off again. To avoid the stupid question I always get no that's not a radiator, it's an intercooler. The new TIG is going to help me heaps

Posted Image

Posted Image

Does anyone know if I can fit the e30 engine in the back over the axles? :P The shed is my dad's but I fix all his sh*t so it works out. I am capable of doing really tidy work when I feel like it and the TIG is actually part of trying to tidy up some of the fabrication I do as well as expand my capabilities. I've got to price up paint and a few other things for this e30 then decide what I do from there. An acrylic pearl white would look minter on it and save doing the door jams etc I can actually do upholstery fairly decent to so might look at recovering the interior, I have some new seats for it I'll look at if they fit.

I've also been plucking over motor options and what limitations there are on the 2.5 which I can overcome with the motor on the floor or if it's buggered what is involved in an M50 swap. I'm open to whatever depending on what pops up. For now I just want to fix it as is then it can be driven and if I find a manual box with all the bizzos then do that to.

So here is what we'll call the baseline. I found humour in pulling it to bits today, needs work, lots of it but I recently acquired a new toy. A big ass miller tig welder, while I was picking that up I dropped off some big oxy bottles to be tested n filled, picked up the welder then went to get the car to haul back up the country. I've basically either gotta get the engine out onto the stand or find another one, it's blowing water into the cylinders and exhaust gases into the water etc. Not a good look however dat straight 6 rumble.

From what I know it's got the front lip, the later "smiley" lights and was owned by BMW shop mechanics for a good portion of its life. It's the other portion of it that has done the damage.

Posted Image

Gave it shot with degreaser all over, let it soak then blasted with the waterblaster with some suds in it. Came up much better. My phone is sub par at showing

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Full of crap

Posted Image

Posted Image

To list what I found

Car cover

Snap lock bags (handy for pulling the motor apart)

shell 15w-40

rust converter and primer

sandwich press

upholstry cleaner

box full of satay chicken noodle sachets

bleach

3 bottles of ajax

jiff that had exploded all over the boot

3 cans of tuna

a new FM shower radio

full shaving gel

a pack of shaving razors

various spanners which oddly enough completed my set in the shop

glovebox handle

some shoes, several ties, some shorts and some dirty underwear

new roll of rubbish bags which was handy

some new buckets

The world according to clarkson volume 2 and "the art of war"

some brand new work gloves (thank you, will take that)

pack of zipties which I threw in the racecar

a billion drink bottles

several bank statements

a birthday bag with long dead flowers in it

a few bags of popcorn which I microwaved and ate

some flysprays

several drinking cups

couple unopened heineken (drank)

brand new tube puncture repair kit

a shaker with oregano in it

Some rope

some rolls of electrical tape

couple cresents for my toolbox

genuine zippo lighter that works

new bottle of seal up, optimistic at best especially when it's still in the bottle

And to finish up it's former broken life and give it one last run before pulling it to bits. If it can't crack a skid it needs to either GTFO the shop or be made capable of doing one.

The idea now is to make it better and not break it from here on in. There is a small part of me that wants to just do it in BMW colours with the Red and Blue stripe deal taking up the entire rear 1/3 of the car. Could use some paint there anyway but the grown up thing to do would be to just leave it boring er I mean white.

So that was my first day of owning a beamer, I think this makes 10 cars I own right now. Should just stop but I can't.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading that haha