Sign in to follow this  
bem-on

changing an engine

hay guys my 320i is running high ks and thought its bout time i change the motor as its ticking and was going to change the box to a manual any way, bout i bought a 520i as the donner its an 87 and my e30 is an 84. i know that my e30 runs an L-jetronic fuel injection system were as the 87 runs a k-jetronic system aswell as that i think its lambda probe and catalytic converted so would that mean i would have to change the cpu as well and would it all be quite a straight swap? it is the same engine right 2lt straight 6 m20? aswel as that does any1 know anything about the turbonator like does it work and really increase hp by 35

Firstly, you're engine probably doesn't need to be changed, they can run very high k's easily over 300,000.

Secondly, the ticking that you're getting is very normal, they all tick tick tickety tick happily all day - unless of course it's an exhaust manifold crack

Thirdly, if you stick with the L-Jet then you should be able to do a straight engine swap

Edited by ///Carl

Would that tick tick tick be the timing chain tensioner?

I heard from oversea forum that you can change a e36 tensioner into it, as e36 ones are same fit but new design and last longer.

yeah the e30 has done bout 420000 ks the 87 is under half of that the major reson why i want to change the engine is that the e30 is gutlis and burs my tank dry im not to sure if its losing power at the box as its an auto but theres also a holow nocking noise, sounds like its coming from underneth the front pasinger set when i let the box rev out and dont change till 3500revs but that might just be the auto box again,the 520i runs smooth as and sounds mint awesome 2 drive and feels more powerful for example i took a trailer out to the pahoangana vally to pic up a rg150 and it was a power stragle with the e30 ortho it was hillie roads i would expect more power from a 2lt six, im doing the the e30 up any how and thoght i might as well seeings im going al out with custom paint, mtech 2 kit, lowering, manual conversion, tints, coby, crome muff sounds and alarm what do you think man will changing the engine solve my power problem and is it worth doing i mean the motors coming out anyway to get the engine bay painted? these are the first bimmers ive driven so i really dont know what kind of proformince to expect but the way the e30 is running at the moment is a let down motor wise but driffs like a motha and im a bimmer fan love my e30 so cant keep driving like a nan might have to pay tim a visit as im in palmy any way. what do you think i should do man

tapping could also be , most likly at that millage is the cam shaft lobs are worn down . easy to check just take the rocker cover off and look at the lobs , normally number one cylinder goes first .

i have 2 good engines . a 86 320i 160000km and 89 320i 152000km , which is motronic

if your going to do the car up don't bother with the 2l, you'll only be wanting more power n a few months time, they are not a fast car, even with a 5spd box. Mtech2 wont fit on you car with out heaps of work, the sides will fit but the front and rear will require lots of custom work.

PS: Please use punctuation. Makes your posts so much easier for everyone to read.

yeah its just that i already have every thing ready to go, every thing is set including the paint both, thought if im going to change the box might as well change the engine as the other 1 is coming out any way. sorry i ment mtech 1 kit the same as the 1 gus has 4 sale. i was going to put a twin turbo supra engine in but the guy wanted $2000 to do al the work. i still have the supra but dont have the know how for some thing that big. so yeah its just an issue of money when it comes to power but im happy with the way the 520i drives but not the look i wanted. the supras a boat when it comes to handling but is slic as a motha 5 speed twin turbs on a v6 2lt targa top awesome in the summer

lol ur posts are funny to read!

Yeah i agree that you'll want more power in a few months, get a 2.5L engine rather than a 2L, i got a 2L e36, a very bad comparision to a e30 because of the weight difference i know but with high km's its better to get a 6 cylinder car, i dont really know what an e30 2L can do but my car is as fast as a 1.6L stock sentra, which isnt exactly something to brag about, anyway i will one day get a donor, either a 2.8 or 2.5, ok i've fully gone off topic, sorry, ill go to sleep now!

thnx

:thumb: yeah im a retard, cant wait to get started tho! ill be posting the pics from start to finish, itl be awesome even if its just a 2lt. maybe when im finish we can get a bimmer gathering in palmy or some where in the north island, would love to check out every ones rides and talk bmw

oh and the other reason why i want 2 change the engine is...... (i wasnt going to say as it is my secret shame but) ... the e30 tops out at.." this is hard to say".. tops out at 140 k/h :banghead:

Huh? What happens? Does it just run out of steam or is it hitting the limiter early? Yeah, definate engine change time. Have you seen that manual conversion on trademe?

i really dont know. it climbs to 140 then just holds it. when it hits 120 it feels like it can go beyond that point but doesnt. ive already got a fit box, clutch etc . from my 520i that drives great but doesnt often cos i dont like the shape. ive been using 96+ plus, seems 2 go faster, might just all be in my head.

ahh tim, just the man i was hoping to hear from, sounds good to me. if ya want how bout taking a look at both cars, need some good advice on how to approach the matter of engine and box conversion, and hay how bout i throw in a box of coroners (or preference) for the kind offer, cheers dude

Edited by bem-on