Sign in to follow this  
AlexWill

E39 Aux cable

Hey,

I've been thinking of putting an aux cable into my 2000 BMW, been searching the web on ways to do it... with not much luck, does anyone know who can install one for me or ways i can do it myself? preferably DIY as i would assume getting someone to do it would cost a fair bit, and as I'm in the final stages of my studies I am on a pretty tight budget.

any help with this would be much appreciated.

Thanx

Need a bit more infor on your system. Do you have a cd player / stacker / Nav sat , or head radio / tape / Cd.

depending on what is install will depend on Aux input (normally late 2002 devices on)

At a guess your best option maybe a device that plugs in where the CD stacker connects which gives AUX / Ipod.

I have a CD stacker in the boot, and a tape player by the dash with the radio, I'll upload a picture of the set up in the dash, may make it a bit easier.

I just tapped into the cassette pre-amp behind the deck up front.

comes up with this error when i try and upload the picture, any idea who i need to contact for this to be fixed?

Upload failed. Please ask the administrator to check the settings and permissions

I don't believe that your tape player has aux in. ( can anyone else confirm ?)

The tidy way is to get a audiovox dice device that sits between the Cd changer. It gives you iPod, aux in , sd card and optional Bluetooth connectivity. Steering wheel controls work etc. you'll need to run the wiring from the boot to your console.

The other way is as mentions above which is to mod your tape player. http://jcrowell.info/bmw-aux-in.html

As westy said, remove headunit, open it up, solder to line level inside the unit a mini jack cable.

Done

I wasn't even that fancy (surprise surprise).

My Cassette sends its preamp to the back via 4 wires. I just cut and shut those with a jack cable.

It's a TV thingy radio though. Only real downside is, it's a bit quite. Obviously a lower level output from Ipod compared to Cassette.

Thanx, will give the soldering a try, are some of the images broken on your computers too on that link you gave me? Only 2 are broken but the rest i can see, and gives me the basic idea of how to go about it.

So westy, if i had to do it this way would it be a lower output too? or is it they way you did it that gives it a lower output?

Only hitch with the 'tap into the cassette output' approach is when you have a faulty tape deck (as mine is). The tape deck stops the signal input to the amp (somehow) when the tape deck faults.

The integrated entertainment system in these cars is a pain in the arse. <_<

Yea its not too great sound quality wise, doesn't sound very crisp, but I would assume its cause its mono sound since its going through the tape player? may be wrong?

but it will do for now, till I finish my studies and start work again to afford something better, after a while one gets use to the slight static noise it produces every now and then... Was easy enough to do than what I expected it to be.

Now the next project I'd like to do on my car is get the mags and calipers painted :D

Na, it's stereo. Sounds like sh*t cause the system's sh*t ha.

Now the next project I'd like to do on my car is get the mags and calipers painted

Hi mate,

This may be of interest to you. $60 and an afternoon in the sun.

Wouldn't be using it on calipers though.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=42337

Edited by Tristan