Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

E39 ACS-style roof spoiler

When I bought my car it had a knock-off ACS roof spoiler. It looked good actually but I had to remove it to replace the upper rear windscreen trim. Finally got round to putting back on using the recommended double-sided 3M automotive tape. Cleaned everything properly with alcohol, doubled up the top on the edges where the curve of the spoiler doesn't quite match that of the glass, taped it up for 24 hours, even added a couple of spots of adhesive silicon, etc etc.

Long story short, I can't get the f*cking thing to stick properly. It keeps coming up at the edges. Any ideas before I lose my temper and throw it in the bin!

It looks like this one on this car and fixes only to the glass:

Posted Image

Edited by jeffbebe

Had the same problem with the one on my e36, it's because it's under tension in the corners so keeps trying to lift.

We urethaned my one down about 3 times before it finally stuck.

I'd use that and put something rather heavy to hold it down untill it properly dries.

If you get fed up with it you can throw it my way.. Perhaps with some financial reimbursement your way. ^_^

Had the same problem with the one on my e36, it's because it's under tension in the corners so keeps trying to lift.

We urethaned my one down about 3 times before it finally stuck.

I'd use that and put something rather heavy to hold it down untill it properly dries.

Trying one last gasp with marine silicone adhesive. I'll keep it taped for 24 hours to see if it holds. Failing that might try some urethane glue but had been holding off because I thought it would be an absolute pain in the ass if I needed to remove it again.

If you get fed up with it you can throw it my way.. Perhaps with some financial reimbursement your way. ^_^

Duly noted!

Duly noted!

Thanks. Appreciate it :) Just let me know how much you want.

Edited by Tristan

Thanks. Appreciate it :) Just let me know how much you want.

If it falls off again I'll probably want enough cash to cover all the bloody tape and glue I've bought to try and make it stick!! haha

If it falls off again I'll probably want enough cash to cover all the bloody tape and glue I've bought to try and make it stick!! haha

Haha cash recovery.. Story of my life! :lol:

Thread-dig

Wondering what you ended up using to hold this down? Have a similar spoiler in that place and some 3M VHB foam tape I was going to use but if its just going to fall off after gettting painted...

I put mine on with Eurothane.... about 3 yrs ago... It's still there and so is the tailgate spoiler done with eurothane as well.

i used sikaflex 227 urathane, i got it from supercheap, usually used for windscreens so is very sticky.

could possibly pop down to a windscreen shop and ask them to glue it with industrial stuff

3M VHB foam tape

3M make a high bond strength tape for architectural / cladding use.

Yepp, that's what I've got

I put mine on with Eurothane.... about 3 yrs ago... It's still there and so is the tailgate spoiler done with eurothane as well.

Will try the tape and if that starts showing signs of failure I'll use urethane.

Cheers guys

Tape will only work if the spoiler is an absolutely perfect fit. I used Sikaflex and urethane bond and not it's rock solid.

The tapes held up for a while now but its starting to lift in the corners.

Needs a proper paint before nailing it done anyway, only a spray can job atm

post-2618-0-68772400-1380540892.jpg