Sign in to follow this  
kevinator9

E30 PFL Towbar Wiring

Hi Guys,

Got myself a towbar for light trailers to help in moving etc. Hardware is simple enough to install just wondering if anyone has a PFL E30 with a towbar that is all wired up and if they could show me where the wiring is run and where it is connected to etc. I have searched for wiring diagrams but I can't find anything helpful.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Andrew

When I did my e36 I just followed the guide on the box the plug came in and connected them into the corisponding wire out of the lamp holders and ran the cable up through the boot, think there was even a grommet to bring it through too

I used these Bosch clips for wiring with a Narva trailer connector (flat, 12 pin type? it had two rows of sockets). Match, connect and press. No soldering etc

http://www.siliconhose.com.hk/ebay2011/Top...0Gland/KW03.JPG

wiring diagram, look through it and get wire colour correct :P Just google a couple of extra sources and double check.

http://www.wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/1989...ng%20Manual.pdf

http://www.wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/1985...ng%20Manual.pdf

Google : e30 rear light wiring diagram

edit: I connected it before the rear tail light plug, and right above the rear light cover

Edited by dubman

Yea I thought right above the tail lightbulb holder would be a good spot to wire it in. Confident enough to work out the connections etc to get it working.

The main thing I was looking for was the way the towbar wire is routed. As euroriffic says his E36 had a grommet already. I have had a look on mine but can't seem to find anywhere to get it from the outside to the inside of the boot.

Thanks Again.

Yea I thought right above the tail lightbulb holder would be a good spot to wire it in. Confident enough to work out the connections etc to get it working.

The main thing I was looking for was the way the towbar wire is routed. As euroriffic says his E36 had a grommet already. I have had a look on mine but can't seem to find anywhere to get it from the outside to the inside of the boot.

Thanks Again.

I just slammed my bootlid shut on top of it, seemed to be alright lol.

On mine there was a hole already for it, I'll double check where for you, and can get a picture if you want?

I wired the towbar into the wires above the Left Tail-light too, but made a separate earth for the earth wire, just using a crimp 0 connection under one of the bolts securing the lock.

Edit: There was a hole directly beside the Left rear bumper/towbar mount, comes through directly under the left rear tail-light, and then beside where the towbar sticks out my bumper also had 2 screw-holes on the underside for attaching the trailer plug to the bumper.

Edit 2: If there isn't one then just go nuts with a 10mm drill bit :unsure:

Just make sure you pick a safe spot to drill.

Edited by huff3r

post-3253-1352157219.jpg

You can just see to the right of the bracket where the wire is going through.

post-3253-1352157227.jpg

This pic shows the holes I found to mount the plug on. 2 self-tapping screws and it was done :D

post-3253-1352157236.jpg

Shows where it comes through on the inside.

post-3253-1352157245.jpg

And the wiring. You can see the separate earth I made, as prior to that it didn't work.