Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

M50/M52 E36 Exhaust Question

Hi,

Would M52 328 exhaust manifolds bolt straight onto the rest of a M50 325 exhaust system? Or am I better to use the whole 328 exhaust, does it flow any better?

Cheers

On mine, i run the 325i exhaust (factory without cats) system mated M52 exhaust manifolds. Ive been told it sounds louder then the factory 325i system.

No noticeable change in performance though.

Hi,

Would M52 328 exhaust manifolds bolt straight onto the rest of a M50 325 exhaust system? Or am I better to use the whole 328 exhaust, does it flow any better?

Cheers

Sweet, thats what I wanted to know, I just want a bit more noise, and they can be picked up cheap as chips. So just a straight bolt on job? Which exhaust manifold gaskets did you use? I assume the m52 ones

Edited by Brams

For what its worth i was told buy a good source when i did my E30M52 that the M52 manfold is more restrictive with smaller ports than the M50 one, just like the intake. i found that out after i modified it to suit <_<

from there back its all plug and play though

Jon or Ray or someone may be able to confirm

the m52 exhaust manifold is higher flowing but has a little bit of restriction where it bolts to the head. a little die grinder will remove that and then its is much better. the m50 version is a cast log drsign and rough on the inside reducing flow

Yep bolts together without mods. For my car I had no oxygen sensors so I had to use bungs in the m52 manifold ( just some bolts with crush washers). I did however die grind around the ports and used a wire brush to clean them up, like I said no noticeable performance just a bit of noise. I think I used the m52 gaskets but both should work I'm pretty sure.

Sweet, thats what I wanted to know, I just want a bit more noise, and they can be picked up cheap as chips. So just a straight bolt on job? Which exhaust manifold gaskets did you use? I assume the m52 ones

the m52 exhaust manifold is higher flowing but has a little bit of restriction where it bolts to the head. a little die grinder will remove that and then its is much better. the m50 version is a cast log drsign and rough on the inside reducing flow

Yep bolts together without mods. For my car I had no oxygen sensors so I had to use bungs in the m52 manifold ( just some bolts with crush washers). I did however die grind around the ports and used a wire brush to clean them up, like I said no noticeable performance just a bit of noise. I think I used the m52 gaskets but both should work I'm pretty sure.

ahh so thats what it is. one or other of us got it round the wrong way ha

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Fit M3 headers and full exhaust messing around with M50 & M52 stock pipes is just shuffling deckchairs

Haha, this is true.

Fit M3 headers and full exhaust messing around with M50 & M52 stock pipes is just shuffling deckchairs

sorry to jack your thread but what are the benefits of a m3 exhaust on a m50

Because it is a tuned match for headers. For a stock M50/52, m3 headers on twin exhaust would be ideal.